Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fiberglass switch and spey rods

Spey 
4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Jschae 
#1 ·
There is a lot of buzz going on, on another site as Echo has said they are doing switch and spey rods in fiberglass. There should be more about it in mid-July. I can't wait. I saw that they are making the switch in I think 3 thru 6 weight and the spey's 7 thru 9wt. Should be fun!

#13 ·
no I am just curious what people think a fiberglass rod of that length will do for them..
Dunno about glass switch/spey rods because I don't have one yet, but with my SH glass rods, it's the big smile that I get on my face when I cast with them and catch fish with them. It's 13% larger of a smile than what I get with graphite. 13% is worth it, plus I laugh more because of the pure fun of fishing with that material, so overall my psychological well-being is greater than when fishing with any other material.

#14 ·
Me too. The only graphite rod I own right now is a 14' 9wt spey. All my other rods for trout or steelhead are fiberglass or bamboo. For me it is the casting but nothing is better then to feel the fish fight on fiberglass or bamboo. I will be interested in the 3wt switch and 8 or 9wt spey.

#16 ·
Rob Allen said. "what are the supposed advantages of a glass spey/ switch rod?"

There are no real advantages other than the fact glass bends deeper and therefore subdues a fish quicker.

The soft casting quality of fiberglass also makes them interesting. The lighest rods aren't always the best rods, in fact I think the light stuff sucks because it can't match the old thick tip stuff.

C.F. Burkheimer might think about it. The rods won't be lighter but they might be really good fishing tools.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.