Finished my bamboo Frankenrod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by KB2, Jan 27, 2013.

1. KB2

KB2 Active Member

This is the bamboo blank I got with the rattan grip I posted earlier. I stripped it down to the blank. Used reel seat and guides from a graphite rod I built, but broke the tip off. Made the walnut handle forend. Re-finished blank, retied guides and polished ferrels. The only thing I bought was a cork grip and a tip top. Is a 7'-0" three piece that will hit the water in a couple of months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Looks nice! What type of finish did you use on the rod?

Tom

3. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Single foot guides on bamboo?? Now that's a FrAnKen roD! Nice job, wait a couple of months? I'm still fishing bamboo on the wet side....

4. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Is that cork grip misshapen? On purpose for fit?? Perhaps it is the photo? I like the idea of single foot guides.
    Jack

5. KB2

KB2 Active Member

Finished the blank with a little linseed oil to darken, several coats of u40 permagloss then lightly rubbed with fine steel wool to give a satin look.

Have to wait a couple of months because I live on the white side. About 2 feet of snow at my cabin, makes fishing a bitch. Next the runoff will start and make it nearly impossible. May/June at the earliest.

Handle is not mishapen, must be an optical illusion in the photo.

It is really the Frankenrod, but I am only into it about $35.00

6. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

KB2. I didn't think so. Just the way the lighting is. Thought maybe was a custom fit to the heel of the hand. I really like the walnut forend. I must tell you that the first and only bamboo rod I made came out great except that after it was all glued up and ready to go I realized I left off the winding check! I'm afraid to take it apart to fix my goof. If I ever do, I might incorporate a nice wood forend like yours. Nice work KB2.
    Jack