Finished my bamboo Frankenrod

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by KB2, Jan 27, 2013.

1. KB2 Active Member

Eastern WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    This is the bamboo blank I got with the rattan grip I posted earlier. I stripped it down to the blank. Used reel seat and guides from a graphite rod I built, but broke the tip off. Made the walnut handle forend. Re-finished blank, retied guides and polished ferrels. The only thing I bought was a cork grip and a tip top. Is a 7'-0" three piece that will hit the water in a couple of months.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Tom Bowden Active Member

Black Diamond, WA
    Ratings: +74 / 3
    Looks nice! What type of finish did you use on the rod?

Tom
  3. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Single foot guides on bamboo?? Now that's a FrAnKen roD! Nice job, wait a couple of months? I'm still fishing bamboo on the wet side....
  4. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +982 / 1
    Is that cork grip misshapen? On purpose for fit?? Perhaps it is the photo? I like the idea of single foot guides.
    Jack
  5. KB2 Active Member

Eastern WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Finished the blank with a little linseed oil to darken, several coats of u40 permagloss then lightly rubbed with fine steel wool to give a satin look.

Have to wait a couple of months because I live on the white side. About 2 feet of snow at my cabin, makes fishing a bitch. Next the runoff will start and make it nearly impossible. May/June at the earliest.

Handle is not mishapen, must be an optical illusion in the photo.

It is really the Frankenrod, but I am only into it about $35.00
  6. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +982 / 1
    KB2. I didn't think so. Just the way the lighting is. Thought maybe was a custom fit to the heel of the hand. I really like the walnut forend. I must tell you that the first and only bamboo rod I made came out great except that after it was all glued up and ready to go I realized I left off the winding check! I'm afraid to take it apart to fix my goof. If I ever do, I might incorporate a nice wood forend like yours. Nice work KB2.
    Jack