NFR Fireworks?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Theron, Jun 29, 2014.

1. If you want to see how quickly a fire moves through grass and brush....here is the photo sequence from my deck of the Skyline Fire in Wenatchee. The cause is under investigation. So much for my predictions of a quiet 4th!!

http://usbackroads.blogspot.com/

jwg likes this.
  2. I will agree that the US needs to quit trying to save other countries & instead invest those $billions$ in saving this one. Defend America to the death, but quit trying to save those from countries that hate us. That being said, God please continue to bless our troops, both those before, present, and future. As for fireworks, I begrudge those who defy municipal codes & cause heartache & tragedy for others. I personally walked across the street on the 4th, took a couple photos, and informed the asshats who were setting-off aerials that it would be a really good idea if they quit doing so. When asked why, I replied: "Because I just sent these photos of you & your illegal fireworks display to the Kennewick PD." They quit, they left hurriedly, & they also didn't argue. F' em. Coincidentally, Old Glory was flying at my house; it was conspicuously absent from the residence of the "patriots;" go figure. By all means, celebrate our freedoms, but do it courteously & legally. It's my neighborhood too & for a lot longer than those jerks have been residents. God Bless America.

Skysoldier, Dan Nelson and jwg like this.
  3. If you were drafted, you answered the call to serve you country. If you honorably served, than you have my utmost respect.

If you volunteered to serve, while during a time of conflict, you have my utmost respect.

If you found a way to avoid service to your country, and than disrespect those who did, than you do not have any respect from me.

If you disrespected any veterans, who fought in any war, than you should not be allowed to live in this country, or take advantage of this countries many opportunities.

Not that I have an opinion or anything.

4. A bit ironic that you can't throw a gum wrapper on the ground but people cheer when you leave the neighborhood littered in burnt paper.

5. There's nothing quite like stereotyping to demonstrate ignorance, among other attributes. I guess it helps to know who you're hated by. You'd never know by my receding hairline today that I once sported a rather stylish 'fro. I'm a hippie and was (and kinda' still am) all for the symbols of the 60s: sex, drugs, and rock & roll, and anti-war, as was nearly everyone of my peers I knew, including members of every branch of the military plus Coast Guard. Hell, there were hippies in the Army, Navy, and Air Force, but they didn't look the part so much after the hair cut. And they were all anti-war. And none of them nor I spit on GIs or called them baby killers. It wouldn't make sense. Those in the service were our classmates, cousins, and brothers. During that time, if you didn't enlist, you got drafted. Most of my friends and acquaintances who enlisted did so to avoid being drafted. The only kid in my small town who supported the war was Chet, and he said we had to fight in Vietnam so our kids wouldn't grow up speakin' gook. Chet likely had the lowest IQ of anyone in my high school.

The 60s brought us social turbulence and upheaval, and it was a good thing. We learned that government is fallible, and government lies with impunity. And although wars were fought in defense of our nation, they could also be fought for the good of the military-industrial complex. American affluence was astounding, as described in an almost bragging sort of way by my high school history teacher (a WWII marine veteran like my step-father) that we could now fight wars and not have to be inconvenienced with food or gas rationing like in WWII, although the temporary increase in the price of bacon was attributed to the Vietnam war effort. Having a father who survived Pearl Harbor (Navy vet.) and a step-father (USMC) who survived making two island landing invasions in the Pacific made for spirited family conversations, where we learned that war and national defense are not always the same thing. And that patriotism doesn't necessarily require supporting the war du jour.

Hope everyone's 4th was both safe and sane.

Sg

6. When I enlisted, I felt the war was too far away for me to give a rat's ass. I had other reasons for signing up. Oh, everyone listened to the "Not our war", "how many Vietnamese fought in our civil war" and the rest of the bullshit. That's exactly what it was-bullshit. It went like this: remember those 4-packs of cigarettes in our c-rats? the little tp packs, "tropical" chocolate you couldn't melt with a blowtorch, and the gum? We used to save them up, give them to the families of the little villages we passed through, while our doc worked to fix up anybody who needed it. Kind of a LRRP/goodwill slog. About a week later, we passed through the same village. Every living being was dead. tortured. cut to pieces, little kids butchered by the VC. My brothers and I weren't fighting for patriotism, mom, apple pie and baseball. We fought because the poor folks there couldn't defend themselves. and we never-ever-lost a firefight. or a knife fight for that matter.

I'm glad you and your buddies never descended into retaliation based on the 6pm news like I encountered more than once. Hell, I used to like being in SF, hanging out in the Haight, listening to the music like everybody else. When I got back, it took about 10 seconds before I realized I wasn't welcome there anymore. So much for the Summer of "love". Ah , fuck it--it's almost noon; i'm gonna mix myself a drink.

7. THAT, Alex is what makes you a hero. And an fine American.

8. And to hang out with either Alex or Salmo is a treat, hanging with both should be illegal!

9. Fuckin A! We got a lot in common, Alex. When I got out in early 68 I was treated like a leper by my good buddies from high school. Even my Mother and Step Dad Number two wouldn't let me in their house because I had fought in an unpopular war. I finally said fuck it and enlisted again to go back to Nam and the 173d Airborne Brigade. Wound up staying in for 23 1/2 years all together.

For the record, no one forced me to fight in an unpopular war. I enlisted, raised my hand and swore an oath. I could have run to Canada (Mexico was even closer) or just deserted and hung out with the protestors and other draft dodgers, but I had raised my hand and swore an oath. I kept my word.

10. Ron Eagle Elk...
    Thank you.

it is a shame how "americans" treated you vets...

11. Exile is never a choice undertaken lightly or a consequence that comes without pain. Jimmy Carter may not have been a great president, but he did one great thing - to grant amnesty to all those Americans exiled as a consequence of their conscience. The USA has been a refuge for many exiles from foreign countries whose policies and politics have forced their citizens to flee. Rarely have other countries had to do the same for ours. Canada stepped up big time during the Vietnam war, by granting refuge to American exiles.

D

Dan Nelson likes this.
  12. Enjoy your cocktail with pride !

13. No, I'm not. I appreciate the thought, but a hero's the last thing I am. The heroes are those we buried, the guys who have parts missing, those who can't walk in a crowd, or who break out in a cold sweat even now, at the sound of a backfire.

Ron, were you stuck at Dak To? That was some nasty shit brother!

mgamby likes this.
  14. You may not think so Alex, but what you guys in Vietnam had to go through home, and abroad makes me feel that way.

thanks again. you have my utmost respect.

15. Alex MacDonald is a true American and if some feel he is also a hero, so be it.

I salute you Mr. MacDonald.

You also Mr. Eagle Elk.

16. Wow. I just tapped in to read about fireworks. Guess I am, just 7 pages later.
    FWIW, I didn't serve. I was blessed with a fairly high number. Still, I almost joined, until the recruiter creamed on his shoes about my off the chart test results. I knew something was up right away.:) Those that did, like my father, brother (both lifers) and many of you here, have my undying respect and thanks. I'll toast your health when I get home.

17. 5 days after 9/11 I went up to my recruiters office, and tried to enlist in the Navy. May not seem like it now but I was in good enough shape back then that I wanted to eventually earn my way to a try out at BUDS. However, when I finally made it down to the MEPS station in Seattle they disqualified me from enlisting for my minor hearing loss. I went through six months of waivers, and even tried to get in through the Marines, and the Army but nobody would take me. I am haunted to this very day that I could not go get pay back and serve my country. Hits home when someone tells me I should have served when they had no idea how hard I tried. :(

18. There are a few books that I read and then come back to and re-read again and again. Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried is one of them. It is an absolutely stunning take on Vietnam from a drafted soldier's perspective. The passages re the death of his friend Kiowa in the shit field are really among the saddest I have read. If you want some perspectives on the ambivalences and traumas of Vietnam and what it means to go- and come home from- to survive, to remember it, this book is a must read. It is also a must read to understand that there was a cast of characters as wide and deep, fractured and full in Vietnam (or any war) that will challenge stereotypes you may have about soldiers, service, duty, patriotism, cowardice and so on

"When a man died, there had to be blame. Jimmy Cross understood this. You could blame the war, You could blame the idiots who made the war. You could blame Kiowa for going to it. You could blame the rain. You could blame the river. You could blame the field, the mud, the climate. You could blame the enemy. You could blame the mortar rounds. You could blame people who were too lazy to read a newspaper, who were bored by the daily body counts, who switched channels at the mention of politics. You could blame whole nations. You could blame God. You could blame the munitions makers or Karl Marx or a trick of fate of an old man in Omaha who forgot to vote.”

"Mitchell sanders was sitting under a banyan tree and using a thumbnail to pry off all the body lice, working slowly, carefully depositing them in a USO envelope. When he was done he sealed the envelope, wrote 'Free' in the right hand corner, and sent it to his draft board in ohio.”

Tim O'Brien

http://www.amazon.com/The-Things-They-Carried-OBrien/dp/0618706410

smc and Dan Nelson like this.
  19. If you don't question authority, you are not free. If you blindly put your life on the line for authority that is not questioned, you are a pawn in their game and they don't give a ratzass about you or the outcome of your life. Power corrupts and if those in a position of authority are not questioned and held accountable, you will end up with the short end up the stick... and you could be holding that stick in a grave.

Authority was not questioned at the beginning of the Vietnam War and 40,000 Americans died as a result. Just because the government tells me it is patriotic to do something with no other reason than because it is patriotic, I call bullshit. Hitler used the word patriotic with great success. He got an entire country to go along with his brutality and insanity because it was the patriotic thing to do. He said so.

During our Revolutionary War, it was patriotic to stand with the British, and many in the colonies did just that. They were the authority. So at what point are you patriotic or revolutionary? A draft dodger? A hippie?

I have no doubt that those who supported England did so because it was in fact the authority.

If nothing else came out of the mistake of the Vietnam War, I was hoping it would be to question authority and do nothing until that authority came up with a damned good reason as to why you should put your life and limbs on the line.

I do question authority. I am suspicious of authority. History has shown that doing otherwise can kill me.

There's no doubt in my mind that I would have questioned the authority of England and sided with those damned rebels.

It's up to you. Question authority or always do what you are told by that authority. It's your life. You can be a pawn if you'd like. There's plenty of expendable pawns on the board.