First fly you caught a fish on???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Eric Denny Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    I know some of you are old but I'm sure no one for gets the first fly they landed something on. Mine was a renegade And it was in idaho, I was 12 and had know idea what I was doing, though I thought I did, wait I still have that problem. Anyways it was just a little 10 rb but I was so happy. I will never forget that fly and I always keep some with me, though I haven't used one in I don't know how long. Maybe I will give that a try next time my luck isn't going good.
  2. Bonefish Jack Strictly FF

Kent WA
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Irresistible - white (yes, really)
  3. wichaka Active Member

White Salmon, Washington
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Doc Spratley on a Canada lake.
  4. t_law Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    It was either a Yellow Humpy on the Deschutes or a Wooly Bugger at Lenice. Man, that was a long time ago.
    flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  5. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    A royal couchman they were the most talk about fly in my day and looked buggy to me. It took me a long time to figure out that that fly wasent worth a shit. Ha ha, took me about 4 outings to relize this. Finally caught a small brook trout. It was a hard lesson, but I was ecstatic. I haven't used one since, ha ha.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    #12 Light Cahill dry in Plunkett's Creek in Pennsylvania.
  7. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    Elk Hair Caddis. 10" Brown on the Gibbon in Yellowstone in 2010. Followed that up with a 14" Brown a few days later on a Zebra nymph dropper. That's it in my avatar.
  8. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    I was eleven. I used a "Professor" at Soda Lake, rather than throw a yellow crappie jig for perch, crappie and bass. Productivity fell off a bit, but I was in seventh heaven!:D
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,114 / 0
    Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear..... I actually started with wet patterns before dry flies.
  10. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Snohomish, WA
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    My 7th Grade science teacher, Mr. Neidhart, offered to teach some of us to tie flies and make lures after school.
    I went home and tied some kind of wooly worm looking thing and caught a fish on the Bitterroot R. with it using my Grampa's bamboo rod.
  11. John Wallace Active Member

Bellevue,Wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 1
    My was a Royal Coachman on the South Fork of the Stilly.
  12. Jase Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    THE WORM!!!!!!!!!!! No joke, red of course.
  13. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +122 / 0
    #12 stimulator. Orange and yellow
  14. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    Size 18 black ant in tuolomne got a 3 inch Brookie been hooked ever sense
  15. Citori Piscatorial Engineer

Federal Way, WA
    Ratings: +101 / 0
    #12 or 10 Renegade, Deer Creek, Idaho outside Boise. First steelhead on a fly - Dragonfly, skated on the Green R. (that tells you how long ago...) between 18 and FG
  16. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +316 / 0
    Six Pack on Cottage lake. Missed 5 or 6 strikes before hooking up and then proceeded to catch dozens of fish before my arm got too tired to pull in another and I went home happier than a 6 year old in Disneyland with an unlimited supply of candy on his birthday....
  17. Josh Stroud Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +54 / 0
    Grayling on a Parachute Adams, somewhere in AK.
  18. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +506 / 0
    A standard Royal Coachmen floating in the outlet of Sacheen Lake...taken by a big fat 15" doofus of a brooktrout (length and girth varies with credulity of audience). The fly was floating in a bird's nest tangle of leader and line. I tied the fly (oh, how I labored over those white feather upright wings....working to achieve perfect symmetry.....not then realizing that only flyfisherman, not fish, gave a shit about such things).

It was doubly satisfying....opening day, observed by luckless crowd of worm fisherman lining the nearby bridge, clouds just pissing rain, and the old man got skunked.

That was over 50 years ago, and sometimes my casts are occasionally just as crappy these days....and I agree...Coachmen really aren't that hot a fly....and Renegades are still the shiznit for catching fish. One of my grandsons taught me that word...and I like it a lot.
  19. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +282 / 1
    unweighted golden stone nymph. 9" bull trout.
  20. Jason Chadick A Fish, A Fish, A Fishy, Oh...

Naches, WA
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    It was a #14 Prince Nymph, Yakima River.