Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

First fly you caught a fish on???

7K views 118 replies 103 participants last post by  Alex MacDonald 
#1 ·
I know some of you are old but I'm sure no one for gets the first fly they landed something on. Mine was a renegade And it was in idaho, I was 12 and had know idea what I was doing, though I thought I did, wait I still have that problem. Anyways it was just a little 10 rb but I was so happy. I will never forget that fly and I always keep some with me, though I haven't used one in I don't know how long. Maybe I will give that a try next time my luck isn't going good.

#56 ·
The first fly I caught a fish (trout) on was a White Miller.
We fished worms (is it ok to use the "W" word here?) with spinning gear in streams. We used a size 14 White Miller fly on a dropper as a depth/strike indicator and very often would catch a fish on the fly. Even doubled once in a while.
Jack
Twig Slope Font Drawing Event

#57 ·
The first fly I caught a fish (trout) on was a White Miller.
We fished worms (is it ok to use the "W" word here?) with spinning gear in streams. We used a size 14 White Miller fly on a dropper as a depth/strike indicator and very often would catch a fish on the fly. Even doubled once in a while.
Jack View attachment 26958
I guess that counts jack I was more meaning fly fishing but you did such a good job with the drawing.;)

#59 ·
I have often said, "if you can remember the sixties, you probably were not with me." I do remember first fish/fly. It was on the Ausable in Michigan. Fly was a light Cahill - size 16. I cast up current and let it drift by a log jam on the far bank - nothing. As it kept going and was nearing where it would drag, I saw a white circle shape appear behind it, and (wait for it) it disappeared. Good thing the 14" brown hooked himself because I was thinking far too much to react!

#60 ·
First trout- 22" rainbow on what, in retrospect, was a red zebra midge that was probably size 20. San Juan River, NM. A guide named Deward Yocum took pity on me and showed me the ropes right away. I owe that man, I hope I can meet him again.

First Steelhead- Moldy stanky 24" runback I caugt on a #12 tungsten headed copper john on the Trinity River.

#61 ·
It must've been 1957. I was 13 and our family was spending a week at Gillette lake east of Colville. I had my Dad's old bamboo fly rod with floating line so I bought a couple "mosquitoes" at the fishing camp's store and caught rainbow trout all week. I can still remember how exciting that first little trout was.

#65 ·
I'm not entirely sure, but probably a Royal Coachman, but possibly a wooly worm since those were my first two flies in my possession...I do know where though, Mill Creek up in the Blue Mtns. outside of Walla Walla. I came a little late to the game and started flyfishing in college...damn, it's been 20+ years already...

#67 ·
Buddies and I used to go backpacking for 2 or 3 nights at a time in the Eagle Cap Wilderness area around the 7th and 8th grade. We rigged mosquito patterns behind spinning bobbers and just nailed them. The reel was a Mitchel 300. It is on top of my desk in my home office.

#69 ·
First fish was on a Light or Dark Hendrikson in the mid seventies.Maybe it was a bivisible.Or maybe a Cahill.I only had like three flies,with no waders and some sort of fly rod.My grandfather was the only sportsman in the family, and fished the BeaverKill with bamboo Payne rods. I fished in Western Masssachusetts.I think I still have the original Plueger reel.It was magic.

#71 ·
queen of the waters. in a trib of the clearwater near culdesac. rod was a 3 piece bamboo which i did not like and still done. the year was 1953 and i was 12. the limit was 20 trout with 3 under 6 inches. i remember when the limit was 12 trout in washington then we got to many people. oh well my limit is zero. mike w

#72 ·
You know,I had one Payne rod,which was a beauty.When I first fished Montana in '81 I used this rod and nearly broke it on a large Brown.Soon after i started fishing with a Lamiglass and then graphite.The bamboo rod collected dust until I decided to sell it and reinvest in newer rods.I still own a L.C.Smith 12 gauge from my grandfather which I am more attached to.No regrets, I'm sure he has looked down over the years and has satisfaction one grandson is obsessed with fly-rodding.

#73 ·
I don't recall the first fly I ever caught a fish on. I do recall the first fly I ever tied to catch a fish. Sadly it was not me. Fishing the sno below the hatchery,a friend of mine pulled in a small SH with a hares ear I had tied. I was thrilled that something I had tied could actually work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.