First fly you caught a fish on???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 18, 2013.

1. wa_desert_rat

wa_desert_rat Active Member

It must've been 1957. I was 13 and our family was spending a week at Gillette lake east of Colville. I had my Dad's old bamboo fly rod with floating line so I bought a couple "mosquitoes" at the fishing camp's store and caught rainbow trout all week. I can still remember how exciting that first little trout was.

2. weiliwen

weiliwen Active Member

mine was a tied down caddis buck, on the South Fork Nehalem, for cutthroat trout. I caught many, many trout with that fly, and still do.

olypenjeeper likes this.
  3. olypenjeeper

olypenjeeper Active Member

I love the Nehalem and it's tribs.

4. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

I spit my drink over the screen reading this. Hilarious

Stew

5. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I'm not entirely sure, but probably a Royal Coachman, but possibly a wooly worm since those were my first two flies in my possession...I do know where though, Mill Creek up in the Blue Mtns. outside of Walla Walla. I came a little late to the game and started flyfishing in college...damn, it's been 20+ years already...

6. fis_her22

fis_her22 New Member

A beat up Joe's Hopper on Granite Creek near Priest Lake Idaho.

7. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

Buddies and I used to go backpacking for 2 or 3 nights at a time in the Eagle Cap Wilderness area around the 7th and 8th grade. We rigged mosquito patterns behind spinning bobbers and just nailed them. The reel was a Mitchel 300. It is on top of my desk in my home office.

8. dave h

dave h New Member

It was a Elk hair caddis on the the Trask it was a 4" cutthroat.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  9. Hem

Hem Member

First fish was on a Light or Dark Hendrikson in the mid seventies.Maybe it was a bivisible.Or maybe a Cahill.I only had like three flies,with no waders and some sort of fly rod.My grandfather was the only sportsman in the family, and fished the BeaverKill with bamboo Payne rods. I fished in Western Masssachusetts.I think I still have the original Plueger reel.It was magic.

10. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Do you still have the Payne rod's?.

11. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

queen of the waters. in a trib of the clearwater near culdesac. rod was a 3 piece bamboo which i did not like and still done. the year was 1953 and i was 12. the limit was 20 trout with 3 under 6 inches. i remember when the limit was 12 trout in washington then we got to many people. oh well my limit is zero. mike w

12. Hem

Hem Member

You know,I had one Payne rod,which was a beauty.When I first fished Montana in '81 I used this rod and nearly broke it on a large Brown.Soon after i started fishing with a Lamiglass and then graphite.The bamboo rod collected dust until I decided to sell it and reinvest in newer rods.I still own a L.C.Smith 12 gauge from my grandfather which I am more attached to.No regrets, I'm sure he has looked down over the years and has satisfaction one grandson is obsessed with fly-rodding.

13. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

I don't recall the first fly I ever caught a fish on. I do recall the first fly I ever tied to catch a fish. Sadly it was not me. Fishing the sno below the hatchery,a friend of mine pulled in a small SH with a hares ear I had tied. I was thrilled that something I had tied could actually work.

14. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

First fish was before the first actual cast. Tied on a mosquito dry fly, and in the process of shaking out some line got hit by a rainbow. slight lift of the rod, short fight, relaxed the rod, fish dove into the net. Perfect.

15. wetfeet

wetfeet Member

Adams, #14 on Mashel river Eatonville, wa. 8" cutthroat.

16. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

Royal Wulff, Provo River, Utah

17. xdog

xdog Active Member

I don't know if the "W" word is acceptable but when necessary I believe the term "Garden Hackle" is okay.

Nice diagram.

:)

18. Steve Slater

Steve Slater Member

A renegade on a little lake in the Colville NF in eastern WA. I still love that fly. It's a great attractor for rainbows.

Steve

19. Pete Bridge

Pete Bridge Member

20. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

14 Olive Scud - Black Butte Ranch pond in Central Oregon back in '97. Had no friggin clue what I was doing.