Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

First fly you caught a fish on???

7K views 118 replies 103 participants last post by  Alex MacDonald 
#1 ·
I know some of you are old but I'm sure no one for gets the first fly they landed something on. Mine was a renegade And it was in idaho, I was 12 and had know idea what I was doing, though I thought I did, wait I still have that problem. Anyways it was just a little 10 rb but I was so happy. I will never forget that fly and I always keep some with me, though I haven't used one in I don't know how long. Maybe I will give that a try next time my luck isn't going good.

#118 ·
Cutthroat on a green Carey, but that was with a spinning rod and trolling. My first on a fly rod was a little large mouth bass on a renegade. I had an Eagleclaw rod that converted from spincasting to a fly rod. I spent hours trying to teach myself to flyfish with that heavy sucker when I was about 12.

#119 ·
Putah Creek down near Winters in CA; about 18 inches of mean brown on a yellow sally. I was working to untangle a bird nest and wasn't paying attention to the fly. He came up and took it, then sank down again without me seeing anything. Once I got the mess straightened up, I thought I'd snagged something. Somewhere I'd read that browns like to sulk down on the bottom, and to get them up was to tension the line and smack the butt of the rod, which I did. This thing promptly came out of the water and shocked me so much I fell over! But I did land the fish!! That was in 1972, first time out with a fly rod, my dad's Montague Sunbeam, with a Pfleuger automatic reel and a greased line. I still have that rig!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.