First fly you caught a fish on???

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Eric Denny, Apr 18, 2013.

1. NIce pic and from the sounds of it you had your hands fulll.lol I can see what hooked you.lol

2. Elk hair caddis....south fork of the snoqualmie

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  4. Caught a 14 inch Rainbow on a Royal Wulff in Ross Lake, WA.

5. Red Ass, Little Red River, Arkansas.

6. I'm 60 now and I started fly fishing at age 5 when my fly fishing father taught me to fly cast and fly fish in Pennsylvania where I grew up. It was so long ago that I have no clue what fly it was. The only things I remember about the day are that I fell in because I was wet wading and wearing rubber-soled canvas top sneakers that were slippery than all get out, and dad had me use a wet fly fished in the old classic down-and-across manner with little lifts of the rod tip. I wasn't suprised when I hooked and landed a trout in that small freestone stream because I had seen dad and his best friend do so many times. But I was sure hooked and have done nothing but fly fish ever since.

flyfishingeric1 likes this.
  7. Elk hair caddis on the Snoqualmie middle fork

8. As has been mentioned several times, my first fly caught fish was on a Carey Special.

9. 19 incher on a #14 copper John in a trout lake in Northern California. Hog rainbow

10. Elk hair caddis on the MF of the Snoqualmie.

11. Another vote for a Carey special - probably green - in the Potholes

12. 12" cutthroat on an orange stimulator - Deschutes River (Wa.)

13. Royal Coachman on Bahr Creek in the Wasatch Range in Utah. I was probably 8 years old.

14. Ginger Quill on the upper Piedra River 10 years old. I had fished every day I could for two years with a fly rod and finally caught my first fish.

15. My first fish on the fly was an 8 inch bass caught on a size 8 olive bugger

16. royal coachmen in the wallace river when I was about 7 years. Probably caught about 40 fish that first day

17. Pretty sure it was a san juan worm. First fish on a dry fly was with some yellow and black thing but I'm not quite sure what it was called. I do remember losing it in the tree behind me on my next cast though.

18. Cutthroat on a green Carey, but that was with a spinning rod and trolling. My first on a fly rod was a little large mouth bass on a renegade. I had an Eagleclaw rod that converted from spincasting to a fly rod. I spent hours trying to teach myself to flyfish with that heavy sucker when I was about 12.

19. Putah Creek down near Winters in CA; about 18 inches of mean brown on a yellow sally. I was working to untangle a bird nest and wasn't paying attention to the fly. He came up and took it, then sank down again without me seeing anything. Once I got the mess straightened up, I thought I'd snagged something. Somewhere I'd read that browns like to sulk down on the bottom, and to get them up was to tension the line and smack the butt of the rod, which I did. This thing promptly came out of the water and shocked me so much I fell over! But I did land the fish!! That was in 1972, first time out with a fly rod, my dad's Montague Sunbeam, with a Pfleuger automatic reel and a greased line. I still have that rig!