First Sculpin

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thomas Williams, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +410 / 17
    Stopped by Puget Sound Fly Co today to pick up supplies. Wanted to tie up some sculpins to throw on my spey rod for trout. This is the first baitfish I have ever tied. I am very pleased with the results. I think the hardest part is palmering the head and getting a good shape. Any advice? Improvements? Here it is.....

uploadfromtaptalk1371514025493.jpg
    Mark Mercer, Jeff Dodd, GAT and 2 others like this.
  2. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +402 / 0
    Thomas
    Looks good!

I need to spend time selecting and learning a sculpin pattern other than Muddler. This will be for the salt in my case.

I have heard of a pattern called Rusty Sculpin that a friend picked up at Puget Sound fly I think. I am interested in seeing what it looks like.

Is the fly above a copy of a pattern you purchased? If so, what is the name?

Thanks Thomas
  3. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Jeff, This is my own creation I just picked out the colors that I thought would be effective and ran with it. I had to do some research on palmering and putting rabbit into dubbing loops but other than that just a bit of brainstorming at the vice and bam...sculpin. I don't have a name for him but maybe I should come up with one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +246 / 0
    Hi Thomas,
    Nice tie. I would have one suggestion. Sculpins, in my experience, are not two-toned. I saw one yesterday sitting underwater on a rock shelf on the Cowlitz that was a shade more orange than the brown head on your fly. In other lakes and rivers, they can be more black/gray or even olive. But generally, the head and the body are not contrasting colors. That isn't to say that your pattern won't catch fish; it probably will.
    Steve
  5. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    Looks good for a baitfish. Might want to try tying in a couple feathers or something right behind the eyes to give it a wider profile of a sculpin.

Get it wet and see how it looks then.
    Jamie Wilson likes this.
  6. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Steve, I know that sculpins aren't two toned. The colors are more of just an attraction. I will tie some more realistic patterns as well. What species feather would you recommend Eric? I considered it. I thought about using a grizz hackle for a long tail as well.
  7. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Perhaps pheasant saddle feathers.

For a long skinny tail you could also tie in a rabbit strip matuka style. If you do this, you'll want to put in a mono loop off the back underneath so that it prevents some fouling.
  8. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    A small horizontal mono loop?
  9. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Yep...strong mono...like 35 lb. Long enough to prop the rabbit strip, like 1/3 the length.

Or...you could invert the hook and punch it through the hide. Tie it so it rides inverted.
  10. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Here's a variation. Kinda took the butt monkey pattern and used it as a general guideline. Don't have any mono like that so I kept the tail short. Thoughts?

uploadfromtaptalk1371612905243.jpg
  11. McNasty Canyon Lurker

Somewhere Near Selah, WA
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    dude those are nice!