NFR First time sweep...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, Aug 24, 2014.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

First time the Mariners have swept the Sox.

Am I the only one out here that thinks Rodney isn't as good as his record? Every save seems to be a struggle.

It's ok Charles, maybe next year.

Ed Call likes this.
  2. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Last time the sox were this bad, they won the World Series the next year. The Mariners are pretty darned good right now. Enjoy!

Go Red Sox,
    Cds

Jeff Dodd and Ed Call like this.
  3. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

If it was easy I'd be doing it.
    Generally, when the save opportunity comes up he is facing the top of the lineup for the other team - the best hitters. Sometimes it is best to throw lousy pitches and if they swing fine. If they don't, put 'em on base until you get to an easier out. Not all saves have to be accomplished with nine fastball strikes!

It ain't broke, so don't try to fix it.

4. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I don't think Rodney is as good as his record. Basically I think he gets lucky. He is facing the same hitters as the rest of the pitchers do but seems to have to make it all dramatic or something. He ain't that good and it is going to bite him like it did in LA.. I loved it when he got all cocky and shit against the Angels and they came back to sting his ass pretty good. He quit being cocky after that. Nobody needs to break anything, Rodney will break on his own.

Richard Torres likes this.
  5. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

.....complain when they're bad, complain when they're good.....I tell ya the M's get no respect.

1morecast likes this.
  6. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

As long as he keeps shooting those arrows when he's done on the mound - I'm good.
    Cuz' it means we won.

Steve Kokita likes this.
  7. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Insert name here "Rodney".....

I don't think "KerryS" is as good as his record. Basically I think he gets lucky. He is facing the same fish as the rest of the "anglers" do but seems to have to make it all dramatic or something. He ain't that good and it is going to bite him like it did in on the "Skagit".. I loved it when he got all cocky and shit "on the river" and it came back to sting his ass pretty good. He quit being cocky after that. Nobody needs to break anything,"KerryS" will break on his own.

As Yogi Berra once quoted..."It ain't over...till it's over..."

Steve Kokita and lorenzo bromar like this.
  8. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

WTF is that all about?

9. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

That my friend, would be the start of a epic bit of internet entertainment , W.F.F. Style

10. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

"

lorenzo bromar likes this.
  11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Some closers are somewhat unstable. You never quite know what to expect.

Rod Wittner likes this.
  12. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

It's only an opinion son. You got something constructive to add to the discussion or can you only quote the words of others?

13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

And by the way. I fished the Skagit yesterday for about 5 hours and got skunked. Not much of a record to get cocky about.

Richard Torres, Old Man and Ed Call like this.
  14. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

You remember Kaz it seemed he did the same thing many times. He never made it look easy. They are both good but why load the bases before you finish 'em off. If I remember right Arthur Rhodes had a habit of doing it too
    It makes me crazy but I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jesse

15. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Exactly. When he comes in, you never know what you are going to get. He makes me nervous every time he steps on the mound. He's not that guy that when he comes in, you know the game is over. But, he has managed to get it done. Like today, for example. Let's hope he does not melt down between now and the end of the regular season.

However, as they say... "If the season ended today," the M's would be in the playoffs. A lot can happen in the 5 weeks left in the season, but I am hopeful and anxious that they can pull off a post season berth.

In regard to talent and personell, they are close to being a playoff team. Very close. The pitching staff is top notch. Starters and bullpen. Ackley is on freakin' fire, I hope he is able to keep it up. Kyle looks like he will get 100 RBIs. These guys are showing signs of being very good and very competitive. Something we have not seen in many seasons. Go M's.

Greg Armstrong and Ed Call like this.
  16. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Wasn't it Parcells that said "You are what your record says you are."

Being a closer is a unique situation and a close opportunity only happens under certain conditions. But let's look at yesterday. He comes in with a two run lead, three empty bases, and needing to get three outs. He starts the first guy off with three balls and in the process gets the strike zone perimeter defined to him by the ump. Then what happens? He paints that zone with three fast ball strikes.

One out. That was the easy one.

After that six pitch performance what do you think the next hitter is looking for?

And the rest of those pitchers gave up six runs.
    I suppose the team scoring five runs with two outs in the ninth to win the 1st game 5-3 was overly dramatic too.
    Nobody gets all bent when Felix gets dramatic...
    Rodney is 38-3 in save opportunities, which as of today puts him in the top five, if not the top three in the league. I'll take that kind of luck any day!

Ed Call likes this.
  17. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Yesterday's game was an awesome radio game. I mean sure TV would have been better, but good lord I didn't hear a word my wife said to me in the bottom of the ninth when we were driving with the ballgame on. It was awesome.

Rod Wittner, Jeff Dodd and Ed Call like this.
  18. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

That was an awesome weekend of Mariners baseball. The fact that all 3 starters struggled and the bullpen was stellar and the offense just scored runs!

Friday night's 5-run 9th inning may have been just the confidence booster the club needed to push them into the final month of the season and the playoffs!

Go M's!!! Go Ackley!

Rod Wittner likes this.
  19. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

A WIN is a WIN period! Go fish! ( and M's and Hawks!) :)

20. PT

PT Physhicist

The M's haven't earned respect, yet. 10 years of putting out a garbage team in the name of making a profit ain't how you earn respect from a fan base. Just because they're playing well doesn't mean we can't still have our doubts.​