First timer Rainshadow 10'8" Switch build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Badfish Creek, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Badfish Creek

Badfish Creek New Member

So I finally took the leap and gathered up the blank and supplies for my very first rod build. I went with the Batson Rainshadow 7wt switch rod. I do admit I wish I went with a heavier blank after I learned it is single hand rated making it more like a 5wt switch..ouch! Anyways I was hoping to mix in a couple of my other hobbies into making this rod. I am building my own handle and was able to purchase a raw Lemke reel seat that I have anodized myself as well. Here are some photos from the build so far. I have really enjoyed working on this rod and see many more in the future......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Porter likes this.
  2. Porter

Porter Active Member

very cool reel seat

3. jwg

jwg Active Member

Not sure what you mean about the rod weights.

I'm building up a Rainforest switch 6 wt.

I have read, here and elsewhere, that a 6 wt switch rod can fish like rod 2 weights up, (see for example: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...ads/a-newby-switch-rod-guy.87079/#post-817752) and that if putting a conventional line like an Ambush on, you upline two weights.(see Reds fly shop, Ambush line)

if I am understanding this right, you should be fine with your 7 wt.

jay

4. Badfish Creek

Badfish Creek New Member

Jay,

It is how Batson rates their switch rods. What they call a 7wt equals a 7wt single handed rod NOT a 7wt switch. Your 6wt switch is really a 4wt switch rod in double handed rates. My 7wt is really a 5wt!

5. Badfish Creek

Badfish Creek New Member

I realized I don't have a winding check. I also realized I live just a couple of miles from a Woodcraft store. I stopped in on my way home from work and spent a good while walking around their store. I picked up a nice looking piece of burl and thought it would make a nice winding check. I have never done any wood work before but was willing to give it a go! I went to work and this is what I came up with. I am not sure to think of it. I think I would like it out of a darker type of wood but I am going to leave it on the blank and maybe it will grow on me.

[​IMG]

Porter and Jeff Dodd like this.
  6. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    double post

7. Derek Day

Derek Day Rockyday

Media:
    It's not that it will fish 2 weights up, it will spey cast a line 2 weights up. I have the 6wt and it overheads a 6wt single hand line nicely. I spey cast a +/- 300 gr head on it (more than 3 line wts up, btw).

I have an 8wt that I spey cast a 400 gr line on, it overheads an 8 or 9 wt line nicely (+/- 280 gr

8. jwg

jwg Active Member

Thanks Derek.
    Jay

9. Badfish Creek

Badfish Creek New Member

I have a lot on my mind so I worked on my rod to help take my mind of some of it! I took KB's advice and made an insert to match the winding check. It's far from perfect but it is the best I could do with the tools I have. I also made another winding check out of a piece of Ebony. I really liked it but with the burled insert I went with the first one I made. I epoxied the grips, seat and check on last night and did the wrap at the winding check today. I also did a simple feather inlay. Nothing fancy and the feathers are not the best but they were what I had and I am happy with how they look for my first rod. I can see the end of this building is nearing an end and I can't wait to get it finished and get out on the water.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Badfish Creek

Badfish Creek New Member

I finally finished the rod. I love how it came out and enjoyed the time working on it and what I learned along the way. I see what I need to improve on and am trying to figure out what I want to build NEXT! Figuring out what tools I need to make the next build better and what supplies I need more of.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Patrick Gould and Richard Torres like this.
  11. Matthew LeBret

Matthew LeBret Active Member

Media:
    That is a great looking build no matter how many your have built!! I love the winding check

12. Mikey_Mac

Mikey_Mac Member

WOW. Awesome build.

13. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Amazing job for your first stick! Someday I'll get around to building one of my own.