Fish Cat Scout

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by skyrise, Feb 17, 2013.

1. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Are these any good ? or just a real big float tube ?
    like the idea. and i can load/unload it myself. since i drive an SUV and dont need to stress my back. it should be a good fit ?

2. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

I personally would go with the Dave Scadden North Fork Escape. The idea is great. Especially if the wind comes up when you are across the lake. (When else would it?)

3. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Bill, thanks i will check it out.

4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

5. seattlee

seattlee New Member

Yes, does anyone have this boat? I am very curious to hear a review. I am selling my pontoon boat because the time it takes to break down the frame means that it never gets used. I need something I can just throw in the back of the SUV and go.

I am considering (1) Fish Cat Scout - $650, (2) Scadden Escape - $700 and (3) Scadden Renegade -$1000. Scadden's website doesn't make size comparisons easy. Is the Escape shorter than the 7' long Fish Cat Scout? It seems that the Scadden boats are generally lighter (which is attractive for taking on an airplane) and seem to have better weight capacity and are rated for rapids. Not that I care that much about weight capacity or rapid rating, but I'd rather have the higher rating.

I'd love it if I could test these 3 boats side by side! Any experience out there, especially with the Fish Cat Scout?

6. Bill Aubrey

Bill Aubrey Active Member

Some of us are hitting Munn Lake in Thurston County-close to the airport--tomorrow AM. There should be a new escape (6'), an Assault, and probably a Renegade. Come on down. I am at 253-678-3683.

7. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Consider the Creek Co Voyager frameless pontoon. I got rid of my old pontoon because I have a car and the frame was a pain. It's 8ft and light. I love mine. I can set it up and put it away in about 7 mins.
    uploadfromtaptalk1364345403833.jpg

8. what fish finder you got on there thomas?

9. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

I bought a fishin buddy 120 last week. Not the most accurate but it tripled my catch ratio for sure.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

10. yah im looking for something i can run off my float tube and connect it to my boat for depth purposes. does it come with the float mounting bracket or something rather?

11. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Buyer beware Do your homework and read the reviews online. There are no regulations in regard to weight capacity; generally a manufacturer can put any number he wants on a boat. It is not like hard boats that are governed by coast guard rules. Whitewater capability:rolleyes: another unregulated comparison. I can sell you a truck tire inner tube that is class V rated I will even show you some video footage of me going through the rapids on it. Inflatables can go through any rapids you are brave or stupid enough to try. My advice ignore both of the above ratings (or over ratings as the case may be).
    If you could take a poll in regards to customer service and response to customer complaints of 500 Scadden boat owners and 500 Outcast boat owners the decision would be easy.
    IMHO buy a watercraft from a LOCAL dealer who will give you good customer service and stand behind the product.
    Check the Outcast website for a listing of local retail shops that carry their product.
    jesse

Plecoptera likes this.
  12. pacific flyfishers have it in stock inflated at the store. It really looks like i and aawesome boat to me

13. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

Also been looking at these to replace one of my older pontoons. The Creek Co. boat looks pretty sweet too. Outcast has been making boats for a while, and use Aire tubes (at last on the framed boats), so I'm sure it would hold up well. I would generally put Outcast tubes above the other small fishing craft manufacturers, although I admit to knowing very little about frameless boats.

I'll second what JJ said. Take the Scadden ratings with a grain of salt. The weight capacities they claim are pretty exaggerated, and there is no way to put a whitewater rating on a boat. There are Youtube videos of guys taking pool toys down some major rapids... doesn't mean you can throw a class III rating on them. Its all relative to the operator.

14. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

It has been stated by others before on this site, and I whole heartedly agree; check out what the bladder material is. I would not trust my life to PVC bladders. If you have the chance to compare urethane bladders to PVC bladders, I think you may agree. Just my 2 cents.

DKL

15. seattlee

seattlee New Member

Jessejames and Plecoptera, your thoughts regarding weight capacity and whitewater rating are well taken.

DKL, regarding the bladder, the Fish Cat Scout has "tough PVC outer, durable vinyl bladders", while the Renegade is "welded bladderless Unitrac pontoon technology." According to this recent thread, the Renegade is PVC, so both the FishCat Scout and the Renegade are PVC, although the Fishcat has a bladder, while the Renegade is bladderless. So, if I understand correctly, neither have a urethane bladder.

(http://www.outcastboats.com/outcast/products/?id=44)
    http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/2013onlinecatalog/page5.html
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/dave-scadden-vs-watermaster.87431/page-2

16. DKL

DKL Nude to the board

If the boats have welded bladderless chambers, that is even better. But don't confuse the outer PVC material with a PVC bladder, very different. If the glued seem on a PVC bladder separates, you aren't repairing it and that glued seem is a weak point.

DKL

17. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

I think it is important to put these personal pontoon boats in their proper context. If you want an inflatable for Stillwater, Class 1 or occassional class 2 use there is nothing wrong with a vinyl bladder. When we had the fly shop we did have a few customers who needed replacement vinyl bladders for their boats which Outcast supplied for no charge. However there are thousands of these boats that have been on the water for years and never had a problem. My personal Outcast pontoon is 12 years old and it has vinyl bladder with no problems ever.
    But on the other hand if I were going to use a boat for serious Whitewater use (I have done that too) I would buy the best boat specifically designed for that purpose manufactured by a company that is in that business,
    These small inflatables are not whitewater boats and anyone that promotes them as such is irresponsible.
    jesse

troutpocket and muknuk like this.
  18. David Breiger

David Breiger New Member

I just got one and have used it twice, first time on Rattlesnake, and on Pass today. My only comparison is with a float tube. The scout easily fits in the back of my car, takes me about 5-7 minutes to inflate and has plenty of room behind the seat. It is very comfortable and I enjoy sitting up and out of the water. I found it easy to paddle and I thought it tracks well. My plans are to use it in lakes and rivers like the Yakima and main stem of the Stilly. I would be happy to meet up and show the Scout to anyone who is interested. I think for the next couple of months I'll be fishing Pass, Rattlesnake and Lake Armstrong most frequently.

David

19. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Good report and nice offer.