Fish just under surface

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Jim Hartwell, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Lovin' this thread. Lots of ideas. I was using a soft-hackle fly like Mark K's, same hook, except tied with black thread, yellow floss (including shuck), and olive-dyed badger (with a wrap or two of opalescent olive petite estaz just behind the hackle. Was killer in a certain lake I know with wild cutthroat.

Otherwise, i've been using black soft hackles fished in the film, to imitate the black gnats in another local lake. When I first fished that lake, a local told me to use "small black flies."
    One memorable day, a trimmed down #12 Dr. Spratley fished in the "film" blew my mind... first fish was an 18"er that socked it moments after it sunk in the wind chop.
    I have to add that a nice little wind chop on that lake makes the fish less cautious.

Mark Kraniger and Jeff Dodd like this.
  2. Nice flies, Mark. What is creating that bit of sparkle in the body? Do you wrap with pearl flashabou under the body.
    Dick

3. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Richard, the material is clean and has shine in it. but using white thread helps a bunch under the clear outer wrap. it's actually a Christmas tree tinsel from A craft store.

4. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I agree with Mark, when I run into this situation.... I get really pumped cause it's so much fun, I tie on a #16 or #18 grey soft hackle (some have a 1.5mm black bead, just enough to brake the surface tension) and just cast and hand twist or troll very slow, it amazes me how hard they will hit those.....just awesome!!!

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Lots of great info. I've had good success using parachute chironomid patterns when fish are showing just subsurface. The abdomen hangs down just below the surface, very similar to a KlinkHammer pattern.
    If I'm not getting action, I can tie a chironomid pupa dropper a few inches below the parachute pattern. I leave the antron schuck off the parachute if I'm going to use a dropper.
    [​IMG]

6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

7. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

Use a 9-10" leader, grease the first 8-9 feet or so and take care to keep the last 6-12 inches to your fly grease free and use a light fly like the one Mark showed, cast out and use a slow retrieve to tighten up the line, the fly will hang 3-6 inches below the surface when dead drifted, again use a really slow retrieve, figure 8 it and also let it sit too. If a fish takes you'll see the greased leader slide into the water, your indicator, and simply lift into the fish. If it's blowing this is harder to do but it's a simple way to keep your fly slightly subsurfce without an indicator, a lot less hassle for casting. As suggested patterns that hang in the surface (note not on) such as a raccoon or a Shipman's buzzer can be a ton of fun and if it sinks a bit, who cares it's in the feeding zone as it can't sink too much due t othe greased leader, just try to keep your line straight(ish) so you cna hook up.

Dave

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  8. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Hmmmmm, did you not see my post two above yours? ;) Dang I love that fly!

9. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

I met Ron in the Lenice parking lot earlier this year, and he gave me one of these bloodworms. Helped me that day and then the next time I went out it accounted for 10 of the 12 fish I caught.

Thanks Ron and Ira.

Wayne

Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.
  10. X-rated Death Squad

X-rated Death Squad New Member

Wow that fly looks so bulky it's not what I'd expect to work. I'll have to give it a try for sure.

11. Wes Neuenschwander

Wes Neuenschwander New Member

Mark: Lovely pattern. Any chance you would share the tying particulars?

12. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

you guys are keeping me busy replicating all those nice fly's listed here.
    now to find the time to test them all. hard work but some one has to do it.:)

Mark Kraniger likes this.