Fishing in Spokane

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tschlat, Aug 25, 2013.

1. tschlat New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey, I go to school in Spokane and haven't taken advantage of what's in my proverbial "backyard." Anyone have any favored spots on the Spokane they care to divulge?
  2. garretcarden New Member

spokane, wa
    Ratings: +17 / 0
    Anywhere from below the monroe street bridge to the plese flat day use area should be good!
  3. tinman207 Active Member

Ratings: +102 / 0
    Sullivan bridge to Marabou park is all great. Some great smallmouth action above Sullivan bridge too.....great for the bass; unfortunate for the trout population up there. Find the places where the aquifer comes in and you have found the big browns. The Spokane is an outstanding caddis river too. I'll give you some pointers in PM, but not in a public thread.
    Codioos likes this.
  4. Codioos Active Member

Spokane
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    For easy fishing, put a nymph rig on and fish above Sullivan for SM Bass. Otherwise like Tinman said, fish where the aquifer comes in for trout and redbands. Dusk is magical...that river can suprise you.
    Good luck.
  5. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Ratings: +87 / 9
    Hit up Silver Bow Fly Shop... buy some bugs and ask for some advice. They will put you into the right water. Also, getting involved with Spokane Falls Trout Unlimited or Spokane Fly Fishers is another way to meet folks who know the water well and who are passionate about the resources. The best way is to take a guided trip (splitting it with someone to help defray the costs is a sweet way to go) through Silver Bow. I learned a whole lot about that river by floating it a few times with a guide and then with friends.

Very few folks will give away their spots via these boards. That said, the river along the length of it... get out and explore. The search function on these boards is also pretty dang helpful.

Good luck and be gentle with the fish as we're in the heat of summer. Handle them carefully, leave them in the water, and make sure they are ready to go when you release them. Fishing early and late is a pretty good rule this time of year.
  6. rwbailey05 GO COUGS

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    There are fish in the spokane!?
  7. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    No, but we just hint at it to get folks out to see the meth-head tuber brigade. ;)
    John Clark likes this.
  8. tinman207 Active Member

Ratings: +102 / 0
    No fish in the Spokane....none in the Cedar either....
  9. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +84 / 0
    Had an interesting one come out of the bushes last week yelling at us about being in sewer water!
    aplTyler likes this.
  10. aplTyler Inept Steelheader

The Evergreen State
    Classic... unless there was a downpour, he was probably using the river as a toilet himself.

Nothing new I suppose.
  11. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +401 / 0
    The Spokane river (sad to say) is the 6th most polluted river in the US. Has been since '86.

That river use to be unbelievable for several trout over 20", back in the 80's and 90's. Never saw (or even heard of) someone catching a bass, pike or any spinyrays back then. It's really sad to see her go by the way side.
  12. John Clark Member

Portland OR/Hamilton Mt.
    Ratings: +12 / 0
    Yep....poor old river has gone by the wayside.... :)
  13. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +132 / 0
    yeah, terrible...shitt...oh wait, wasnt yesterday..
    rwbailey05 likes this.
  14. Kaiserman content

There's no doubt that you can still catch quality fish in there, that's not my point. If you were here back 15 or 20 yrs ago or more, you'd know exactly what I mean. If you weren't, you can't appreciate what I'm saying. From my perspective, it's average at best.

Then again, I think 14 to 16" fish aren't worth chasing after - although a Redband in that size range is a different thing altogether. It's just too bad that there aren't 3000+ per river mile like there use to be. Yep that's right, I said 3000+. From the dam in ID to Harvard Rd, there was an average of 3600 in the late 80's, with handfuls of them here and there in the 10 lb range.

Come on, there has to be some 'ol buggers like me around here that remember the old mink farm down by Barker bridge...? As a little kid, my dad taught us how to catch the 8 to 10 lbrs on a big slab of sucker meat on a 1/0 hook and a slip sinker setup. We actually ate them (that's before we knew anything about the PCB's and other metals). We'd throw back anything under 3 or 4 lbs.

I'm telling you, it was that ridiculous. They had this long wooden shoot, that they would deposit the mink bodies straight into the river. Just chuck a big slab of sucker meat in there on a Saturday (mink farm closed on Saturdays) and it was like fishing in a kiddy pool full of starving fish.

Years later when I learned to fly fish, a guy didn't have to drive to MT or ID to catch large fish, or a lot of them. A guy could just drive down after work and fish til he got bored of catching fish. I would only go to MT to get away from the city atmosphere. Same was true for fishing downtown Spokane. Back then, it was really, really strange for people to fish down there. Guys thought you were a little weird or something, for fishing under the bridges of downtown. Why would you, when the more "scenic" parts of the river had just as many (maybe more) fish than downtown. It was just a "change of scenery" for me.

I've just about fished off of every rock on the upper part of the river. The "Sullivan Flats" (where the Valley mall is now) is where I fished the most, only because it was closest to my house where I grew up. We'd ride our bikes down Mamer Rd, lock them to the fence, walk across I-90, follow the train tracks, and there you go. The best chance to get several fish pushing or over 20" in one day though, was near the state line.

So, to put in simply, she just ain't what she use to be...
    Old406Kid and Kyle Smith like this.
  15. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
  16. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Sorry about the posting screw up but also remember those days. Used to fish the upper across from the old weigh station to
    Plantes Ferry and always did well from the late 70's on. Swinging the Brit 1 and 2 were magic during the caddis hatches.
  17. Kaiserman content

yeah, swinging just about anything... :p

That was a good area for browns if I recall...?