Fishing News in Olympia

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by miyawaki, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    Privatize all 3 of the above, seriously. Someone smarter than all of our government officials will pick up the ball and figure out how to make them profitable, especially incarceration.

I do not think the state should be getting any more money until they show some basic math skills and can balance a budget. They also need to take a long look at retirement plans they are currently paying into and how they are being held hostage by certain unions when contract time comes up. If they can get to that point then we can talk about implementing an income tax or allocating funds, I think if they could be fiscally responsible for a year or two most wouldn't mind pitching in a little more to get what they want to out of the state they live in.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  2. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +720 / 1
    While we and our elected officials are all busy beating the hell out of one another, pissing over who's entitled to what and thinking how great life would be if everyone else would just see the world through our glasses, I saw this quote and thought it to be spot on...especially for a fishing forum.

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"
    Irafly and Jim Wallace like this.
  3. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    Talking about taxes. I have lived here in Montana going on 8 years now. Hell, I still can't get used to the idea that all you pay is the sticker price for things. $9.99 is just that.

Also when I was in Washington a few years ago, I stopped at the Cabela's in Lacey and picked up a big item. The clerk told me because I'm from Montana I didn't have to pay sales tax. That has happened to me twice.
  4. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +513 / 0
    After reading about Gov. Rick Perry...everything might be going to Texas. :rolleyes:
  5. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    That's an interesting notion Ed. It suggests in my mind the concept of "place orientation." When I was younger, over 90% of everyone I knew or met was "from" WA. For years now, well over 50% of everyone I know or meet is "from" another state. Clearly people in the US are increasingly mobile and quite willing to move for education, jobs, or a change in scenery. Or better fishing.

I'm a native of western WA and very place oriented. I've thought of going elsewhere, but I like to fish year around, and there's only so many places that meet that criteria. Not to mention that the climate absolutely sucks at least half the year in most places, with either extremely hot, extremely humid, or extremely freeze yer nuts off weather. I've discovered that those things make the gray and rain around here extremely tolerable. Besides I don't really know any different except for a week or two at a time in those other climes.

Since I'm approaching retirement, the notion of split residence has come up a few times. A former co-worker moved to MT, but a little over a year ago they bought a place in FL to snowbird. Sometimes I think about the ex-pat thing and wintering south of Cancun, MX and fishing the flats all winter and then coming north for the summer, but where? Plus it would be difficult to just pack up and leave the bucket list dream home I recently built. I flat out couldn't replace it. Fun to day dream tho.

Sg
    Ed Call and Kent Lufkin like this.
  6. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Your comment reflects a quintessential element of the American experience.

Horacy Greely is credited in 1833 with advising, "Go West, young man, go West. There is health in the country, and room away from our crowds of idlers and imbeciles." A century later, the combination punch of the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl had pushed American cultural expansion all the way to California. Suddenly there was no further West to go to.

Later, Jack Kerouac, Ken Kesey and Hunter S. Thompson all romanticized the notion of finding one's true self on the road, as if the process of relocation in and of itself were somehow the ultimate antidote for the day-to-day compromises we all make as citizens. It can be argued that most of those who ended up in Alaska and are now known as 'End of the Roaders' got there simply because there's no longer anywhere else to go.

Just like beauty, mismanagement is indeed in the eye of the beholder. One of the downsides to representative democracy is that on any up or down question, a minority will feel slighted by the outcome and that their interests and wishes have been ignored, their views trampled upon. In a system like America where a 51% majority carries the day, somebody's ox will inevitably be gored.

The bigger question though is where are you going to find a better system?

IMHO, instead of packing up and heading off down the road, you'll get a better return on your investment of time and energy by working within to improve the very things you deplore.

K
    Gary Knowels, SteveA, Irafly and 2 others like this.
  7. Steve Vaughn Member

Richland, WA
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Kent wrote: "Everyone here howls at all the user fees now being charged, especially for recreational use. User fee income does not go into the general fund but rather stays with the department that generated it. Thankfully, if it weren't for those fees (and fines from citations), WDFW would have shut down a long time ago thanks to continual reductions in financial support from the general fund. Same with DNR and Parks."

Very well put Kent and this has irked me since moving to WA four years ago. I lived most of my life in NY state (Rochester - no where near NY City) and know what it means to be taxed. As some have suggested in this thread, more taxes going in the general fund do not solve the problem because it only grows the government. Before you know it taxes need to be raised to support it and its programs. Everyone I know in NY that is sick and tired of income and other taxes cries out for user fees/taxes. Well, that is what is being tried here with the Discovery Pass etc. and all I hear is bitching about having to pay for what I use. I don't get it. I learned a long time ago that you shouldn't expect anything for nothing, yet human nature expects just that.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    I've supported the Discovery Pass and other user fees without bitchin' about em, and will continue to do so. I won't spend any more money on 'em unless I can go fishing and use the state parks, though.
    As a matter of fact, I'll bet our folks representing us in Oly will arrive at some kind of a consensus this week. To do otherwise would surely be risking political suicide. If they don't pass a budget, I'm blaming all of em, and I'll be forced to vote for a "Green Party" candidate next election. :confused: That should scare 'em into action!
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  9. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    And with political powerhouses like you and I heading the ticket, they'll be laughing so hard tears will be running down their legs.

K
    Gary Knowels and Jim Wallace like this.
  10. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    Bring back Washington's OWL party and throw the rascals out!

UP THE REVOLUTION!!

OK, that felt good.
    Jim Wallace likes this.
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Can I de-register to vote? Lately, voting seems like a waste of time. If we throw the current crop of bums out, then Freestoneangler will undoubtedly vote for the Libertarian candidate, effectively canceling out my Green Party vote.
    I suggest that we all de-register, and then go fishing!;) When we return with clear heads, we can start up a new political system that works and leaves Empire wondering where we all went.
  12. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Lately, when I imagine our WA State reps and senators conducting business as usual, what I envision is not pretty. I see an ugly scene of two blind and crippled stage coach drivers attempting to flog the other's dead horse, but the flogfest becomes so convoluted that they end up blindly flogging their own dead horse along with their adversary's, as well as flogging their own passengers in the now immobile stage coaches. :confused:

I'm not trying to take sides here, as I consider myself to be an "independent."
    However, removing all money from lobbying would be a good start. No taking of our elected reps to lunch or dinner on expense accounts. Absolutely no monetary political donations nor free airtime for political messages. Equal public funding for all candidates, so big money backing is no longer an issue. See where I'm going?

Furthermore, mandatory minimum 20 years of hard labor for any elected rep convicted of taking a bribe.
    Gary Knowels and Peyton00 like this.
  13. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +677 / 0
    do you have to pay state income tax?
  14. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,264 / 0
    The sad thing is, if we've learned anything from the past, is our elected officials will pat each other on the back and give themselves huge raises for resolving this issue when all is said and done.
  15. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    How many state workers have expense accounts and get free cell phones?