Fishing with flies, but not fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by kmudgn, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure patents are long since expired. Lol. From my understanding, this was bought new in the 1910s or around time my Grandparents were married (1920 I believe).

freestoneangler likes this.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky

Btw, my Dad was born in the 40s, was well broken in when he started using it as a young boy. And no markings, so no idea who made it. Just know that 5 generations of Daschofskys have used it (my great grandparents used it at grandparents house and my kids have used it)

3. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Well Jerry, it looks like you out of all of us are qualified to wear tweed when eating your popcorn.

dfl likes this.
  4. Jerry Daschofsky

LOL. My tweed and smoking my pipe dear sir. ;)

5. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

If all he loves is dry fly action, he's missing out on a helluva lot of fun fishing, he is like 20 miles from awesome shad runs, 30 miles from an array of striper and bluefishing opportunities, all of them on the fly, all of which would probably blow his mind, not to mention tons of topwater bass action on poppers, pickeral and white perch takes on streamers, hickory shad on euphasids, mackerel on tinsel flies etc.

I'd say if all you love is fishing for is stocked trout on topwater, great, so be it, most of us get the karmic jollies out of figuring out all kinds of ways to catch all kinds fish. Me I am working on squid, I want to catch squid with flies, flies with like a dozen tiny needle like spikes....

plaegreid and triploidjunkie like this.
  6. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

There are a lot of things in this world to have strong opinions and convictions about. Fishing is not one of them.

Let me ask, why the hell do you even care? Would you snub your nose at a kid using nightcrawlers if it was legal? Would you snub your nose at a father who only fishes occasionally teaching his kid to fish with a jig and a spin rod? Would you snub your nose at a newbie hungry for a tug who's trying his darndest with an effective technique like nymphing and a fly rod?

I think the real questions is, if you're so worried about the importance of the "definition" of fly fishing, what does it say about the lack of real meaning in your life and character?

Lighten up - it's fishing.

7. Teenage Entomologist

Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Very true.

8. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

One word... Anise. LOL

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

JesseC and dfl like this.
  9. jjaims

jjaims Make fishin’ your mission

what he said!

10. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

an internet discussion about definitions is now about "importance", "character", and the "real meaning" in life.

i'm confused about who should lighten up.

Mark Kulikov likes this.
  11. Chris Bellows

i'm also a bit confused how discussing whether one or two fishing methods are actually fly fishing means that anything but dry fly fishing is now not considered "true" fly fishing. i guess kicking the crap out of young kids soaking worms and fathers fishing spin tackle leaves little time for anything but casting upstream with dries.

anyone know a good therapist? i've learned that my dislike of bucktailing is a symptom of deeper issues and i need to work out my issues. i've heard something about an adipose complex....

12. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Look - we've been through this a thousand times. It was my wife's bag of spices. How it got into my bugger barn and spilled to hell all over the place I don't even know. Kids man, yeah, that's the ticket. Those kids!

Luke77 likes this.
  13. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Oh, by the way. Here's a history lesson for the hob nob silk line hold outs, who are the only ones apparently still fly fishing.
    [​IMG]

Look at that mardi gras parade of silliness!

Do you think trout went after those because they looked like the hatch? Nope. It's because trout are dumb as hell. You could literally swing one up with a mini bic lighter with a stinger hook on it if they were in a feisty mood.

You know what really matches the hatch in a lot of pnw rivers?

[​IMG]

Randall Clark and GAT like this.
  14. Chris Bellows

hairbrush hatch?

15. psycho

psycho Active Member

Gees JessseC all the flies from my really young years ( 7-12 ) but even by twelve I was starting to stray from the path and throw cork poppers for bass. Growing up in north central Ontario there were lots of different fish to try chicken feathers on and most of them feathers sunk. I quickly found that sunken feathers caught a lot more fish than when they floated on top, plus dressing silk lines to keep them floating was a hell of a lot of work.:D Keeping gut leaders damp was also a chore , I was really glad when monofilament came along.

JesseC likes this.
  16. GAT

GAT Active Member

Geezus, this thread is still going?

If fly fishers can't figure out what is really flyfishing, it's no wonder that fish and game departments have such a hard time determining what the hell is flyfishing and what isn't.

Randall Clark and FinLuver like this.
  17. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Yeah, but if you would have used them while fly fishing, you would have been more effective. Some people like you just like to challenge yourself more to protect the resource. Thanks for that.

18. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

Luke77 said:
    One word... Anise. LOL

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Look - we've been through this a thousand times. It was my wife's bag of spices. How it got into my bugger barn and spilled to hell all over the place I don't even know. Kids man, yeah, that's the ticket. Those kids!

-------------------------------------------

Mixed in your head cement...works nicely ;)

19. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

good post Jesse.

20. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I don't care whether dumb trout will strike at these but I do believe every fly fisherman should have a shadowbox of these on the wall.

Ron McNeal and JesseC like this.