Fishing with flies, but not fly fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by kmudgn, Apr 13, 2014.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Here's a good question. Why do they believe they are right? A message from god that only they heard? Golden tablets??

2. GAT

GAT Active Member

It was indeed a social thing. Guides started taking clients to the river and they used indicators and heavy nymphs. They caught a lot of steelhead with the technique. This rubbed the old flyfishers the wrong way. It bugged the hell out of them that these guys were showing up and catching steelhead with a technique the powers that be on the river did not like.

But what the hell, as long as the purist regs are only for the NFU, let them have their own river... just as long as they don't try to spread those overly restrictive regulations to other rivers, no skin off my nose.

3. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I should clarify.... the messages on the board "my way is the right way". not the rule changes to Oregon rivers. What makes the posters believe they are right? What vision did they receive?

4. GAT

GAT Active Member

Point taken.

5. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

Unweighted flies on the NFU?

Does using wire ribbing really close but not touching count as ribbing or weighting (in comp wire rib cannot touch but there is no spacing req other then that)? might be a way to work within the NFU regs and still using nymphs. another option is use a really heavy hook, with the close wire rib, using synthetics, flashback, and epoxy to make the fly sink.

6. No metal wire allowed during the summer. Here's the verbiage directly from the regs. Outside these dates you can use weighted flies but no indicator.

July 1-Sept. 30 all angling restricted to use of single barbless unweighted artificial fly. For the purposes of this rule, an unweighted artificial fly is defined as: “a conventional hook that is dressed with natural or artificial materials, and to which no molded weight (such as split shot, jig heads or dumbbell eyes), metal wire, metal beads, bead chain eyes, or plastic body are affixed, and to which no added weight, spinning or attractor device, or natural bait is attached.”

7. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

i always like how this issue somehow gets framed as jealousy. i remember some of the brouhaha and remember clearly that one of the main things mentioned was the lack of rotation of the new nymph anglers, which meant that they were hogging water and keeping others from fishing it... which was at that time pretty damn rare on steelhead fly fishing only rivers.

it likely did not help that most of them were not locals and many were from..... california. :eek:

8. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Nymph with T17

9. The best option if you want to nymph is to fish below the fly water stretch of the NU or fish any of the other thousand or so miles of steelhead water in the state.

While there aren't any fisheries with legal restrictions against swing/step down fishing, there are plenty of fisheries with implied restrictions. I'm sure if I showed up to the run below the hatchery on the NF Nehalem with my spey rod and started trying to swing it (and it would be an awfully nice run to swing) that there'd by plenty of "restrictions" enforced by the crowd of fisherman, and I'd deserve what ever ass chewing/kicking that came my way. That's just one example, but there's plenty more to go around. I can't believe I'm defending the swing crowd when many times they're such pompous dicks and I certainly don't support regs like this becoming the rule rather than the exception.

Salmo_g and sopflyfisher like this.
  10. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

On one of my favorite rivers in the whole world there are signs that lay out the accepted behavior on the river in the campsites along the river. Solid ideas like don't drink and jet sled, handle fish with care and my favorite.... if another angler is fishing a piece of water from riffle to tale you don't fish it. You don't even to ask to follow. It's theirs. People tend to be real nice in camp at night. There are few issues, the rules are followed. Since everyone is swinging, or possible spoon fishing this works really well.

Another favorite steelhead stream, has water where the gear guys fish and where the fly guys fish. No rules, but it's just kind of known which is whch. It can be crowded but the well known social rules are helpful. I don't know where the nymphers would fit in. I believe that they'd fit in best with the gear guys as they likely would not move fast enough for the swingers who are searching out the players.

Fortunately, I have never seen a nympher on either of he rivers I am writing about. I sincerely hope that I never do. The socially accepted rules self regulate the streams so well without them.

Go Sox,
    cds

Salmo_g and sopflyfisher like this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

What if I swung a Dick Nite, would that still be cool? Someone should start a thread that reads "fishing with lures, using a fly rod" ;) or Using scent on your flies...

bennysbuddy likes this.
  12. I love fishing a swung dick nite, I frequently use one on the clackamas. Can't do it during the summer on the NU though and my world doesn't come crashing down due to the restriction.

13. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

When I nymph, I swing my nymphs at the end...that can draw some gnarly strikes! Some nymphers like to swing... :D

14. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

what brand of socks should I wear when fly fishing ? That's about the only question left unanswered on this tread.

dfl and Gary Knowels like this.
  15. GAT

GAT Active Member

Argyle.

FinLuver and Gary Knowels like this.
  16. Simms at 56$ bucks a pair

17. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

They are $30 per pair, and worth it.

My ticket for stillwater float tubing right now and late fall involves columbia fleece pants and the Simms socks.

Oddly I think the fleece pants were cheaper then the merino wool socks...

Btw the regs on the NU seem to be stricter then a certain regime in the late 30's early 40's...

18. the fleece pants didnt have a simms logo tho right?

19. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

Right they have the Columbia logo.
    The generic columbia logo, not the PFG columbia logo...

20. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

As long as they move, they'd be fine.

Go Sox,
    cds