Fixing a mistake

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Gary Knowels, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +320 / 0
    I just finished up my first rod not too long ago and while casting it was quite impressed. Unfortunately i found that i had installed the reel seat about 20° off of the axis i put the guides on. It is completely functional but annoys me a bit. What is the best way to fix this?
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +889 / 1
    I have one like that also.
  3. Dave Evans Active Member

E. WA / N ID
    Ratings: +94 / 0
    My first build was for my spouse and it took a year of her fishing it for me to notice the stripping guide was off a bit. Well, a little more than a bit, about 10-20 degrees. I looked into fixing it and would have to cut the old guide off, sand the old flex coat off of the guide and the rod, then reinstall. I swore I was going to fix it while building another rod a few weeks ago, but she told me it didn't bother her and to not waste my time. I was glad she did! I think you might have an easier time removing the guides than getting a reel seat off that has been epoxied down. Or you can take my spouse's advice to me and not worry about it! It just gives the rod personality.
  4. Half Pounder Member

Pacific Northwest
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Depends upon the epoxy used and grip/seat configuration. If the reel seat is flush with the bottom of the cork (as opposed to being recessed into the bottom of the grip) and you used 15-minute epoxy or rod bond, it might be possible to heat the seat to allow the adhesive to loosen enough to adjust the angle. I did this with a spey rod a few years ago. If you used stronger epoxy or the reel foot goes under the grip, then do what follow Dave's advice. Sometimes even the 15-minute epoxy doesn't want to let go, too. So going after the guides might be your only option. In any event, be very careful not to twist the rod blank itself if you try to spin seat into position. Heat and twisting can wreck a blank very fast.

--Sean
  5. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +320 / 0
  6. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +72 / 0
    99% chance of breaking that cork ring that is around the hood of your reel seat. The 15 min flex coat that you use will loosen up off the rod but not the cork. Get a pot of boiling water and drop the reel seat in just below the hood making sure it is vertical. Wait a few minutes and with a towel try twisting the reel seat and if it does not budge then place it back in the water and keep trying but do not leave it in the water for more than a min or 2 at a time for you will run the risk of getting the blank to hot. It might end up costing you a cork ring that you will have to ream and glue back to the grip. However if you have a wood insert on your reel seat if you boil it to long it might cause it to swell depending on the wood and how it was sealed.
    I would try to clean off as much epoxy as possible and just reapply a fresh batch to make sure it bonds well. More than a few ways to go about it but this is what I would do. Depending on the length of the rod re wrapping the stripper guide is a good way to go. If you are just starting out and planning on building more don’t look at it as a big pain in the cheeks but as a learning tool. You get more practice wrapping and also more practice at your finish work