Flies for silvers

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Chucker, Sep 9, 2013.

1. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

Shimmer Fringe is from Hareline and it's my new favorite material. Cotter pin, stinger hook, white marabou and some shimmer fringe and you've got a sweet moving baitfish fly that won't foul in about 2 minutes.

[​IMG]

2. Pattick

Pattick Member

Media:
    What style cotter pins do you use and where do you get them? I went down to ACE and picked some up for stinger hooks, but my clinch knots and no-slip loops broke easily when I tested them. The only ones that I found were oval shaped, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Are the ones you use made from round material?

3. mbowers

mbowers Active Member

4. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

5. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    TR,
    Never used those before, though I've recommended Barlows in the past and buy a lot of stuff from them.
    I just use heavy gauge spinner wire if I'm going to make my own.
    SF

6. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

SF,
    OK perhaps someone else. I do like them as the wire is not as thick to tie on as a cotter pin and they're still relatively inexpensive. Which heavy gauge spinner wire do you then use?
    TR

7. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Another good one

8. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    All of these flies produced this past weekend. Poppers produced more strikes from an average larger fish. It was fantastic, and long overdue for me. 20140819_180004.jpg

mtskibum16 and miyawaki like this.
  9. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Steve, like your Purple Popper Eaters
    Leland.

Steve Knapp likes this.
  10. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Hahaha, thanks Leland, I've been using a micro version of it for a couple years on cutts, and your recent post got me excited to size it up for coho. It worked great, although I didn't set the hook back far enough on a couple and had to retie. The biggest producer was almost 6" from head to hook.

miyawaki likes this.
  11. ribka

ribka Active Member

Dark purple string leeches weighted

Try em. Found to be most consistent fly for silvers

12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Im usually the guy on the beach fishing bigger flies than most. The clouser currently on my rod, and responsible for my last several fish is probably close to 5" with the long flashy tail. When i see what gear guys use for silvers it makes sense to me. I like to think the bigger fly will help make it a more enticing meal as well as stand out when there is lots of bait around

Steve Knapp likes this.
  13. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Hey Nic, do you fish an 8wt or ? I fish a 6, I realized I had to "shrink" my fly length to make casting more pleasant. I'm going to get an 8 soon, it will probably make tossing a larger fly easier.

14. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Since I just saw this and know the answer, Nick fishes an 8wt. Over the last few years I have spent time fishing a 6wt, 7wt, and 8wt (all fast-ish modern rods) for coho. There are pros and cons to them all, but I keep finding myself coming back to my 8wt (which is not as nice of a rod as the others) simply for the fact that for me it's easier to cast big flies, cover long distances, and deal with the wind. Not only that there really is so much more power in them that you can really get fish under control quick if you're at a busy beach. I would suggest you at least give one a try.

That said, I think the dumbbell eye size and hook size probably adds more weight to a fly than extending the body material an inch or so.

Alexander likes this.
  15. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Yep I fish an 8 most of the time for all the reasons Matt listed

16. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Steve, recipe for that popper? Also, I've been fishing a chartreuse over pink clouser with a bright blue stripe down the back this year with good success. Not sure why I ever added the blue but I like it. Looks pretty much identical to the ones you posted last year.

Blake Harmon likes this.
  17. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Media:
    I saw those before coming across the mountains and spun a bunch up with the blue as well. and the 3 silvers ive got since saturday are all on those flies

18. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    I started with blue this season because of the SF Blend.. I started with the SF in different colors and saw the Herring Back Blue and picked it up, now I went out and got blue angel hair and some other blue materials for baitfish backs. The silver I caught last weekend hit a fly made out of flashabou only, and then the back had the Larva Lace blue angel hair.

19. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Most of the coho that I have caught here have been while we were fishing for sea run Cutthroat. They have taken just about every trout fly that we have used here, including poppers, muddlers, skated stimulators and elk hair caddis, steelhead caddis, matukas, zonkers, bunnies, minnows, clousers, and all kinds of wet flies. But the top fly has always been a #6 muddler. I like to tie bait fish flies, clousers, sandlance and herring etc., for salmon fishing, and I tie some big ones too. But I can not ignore my own experience on the water. And those Chinese Muddlers can be pretty cheap, if you buy them two at a time in a blister pack at the hardware store. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

20. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Bob, you've got me curious, there are so many muddler varieties, can you post a pic of the type of muddler you speak of? I want to give this a try. Has me wondering if it's the action due to the spun deer hair. Why do you think the muddler rules over the other flies you fish? Last year I landed my first fly caught Coho on a strange "non coho" beach on a large olive bead head wooly bugger. I was pleasantly surprised.