Flies for Western Washington Lakes

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by NTOTTSN, Jul 27, 2002.

1. NTOTTSN

NTOTTSN New Member

I'm going out and buy some flies for my first adventure flying fishing at the local lakes in Mason county. I was wondering what would be a good assortment of flies to start out with. I would like to get a good assortment of wet and dry flies.... Looking for some help!!!!!

Can hardly wait!!!!!! :YUM

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    Black, Brown and Olive wooly buggers in sizes 6-10
    Carey Specials in similar sizes and colors
    Various chironomid patterns in black, brown and red sizes 12-16 (Fish these under strike indicators near the bottom whenever nothing else works.)

The only dry fly that I use is the Gulper Special and a Parachute Adams is a similar fly for the fly buyer.

This is a short list, I know, but this is what I like to use and have been sucessful with most of the time while fishing.

3. Gary B

Gary B New Member

I agree with the above, but one I would not leave out is the hare's ear nymph in tan, and dark brown in sizes from a 16 up to a size 10.

Gary

4. NTOTTSN

NTOTTSN New Member

Thanks for the information but what is a Gulper Special. I have looked and can't anything on the Gulper Special.

5. flogger

flogger New Member

Media:
    Check out the Umpqua web pages. It's a good reference for different flies. Just type in the name or choose to view by type of fly (dry, streamer, etc.) They don't sell there, but use distributors, and you can locate Web dealers from there also. Good Luck!
    http://www.umpqua.com/flygallery.htm

6. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Media:
    just remember, throw 'em back

I also agree but bead head girdle bugs in black in sizes 8-12 are great flies that will catch many different species. fish them with erratic 4-6 in strips and hang on. Also get a good assortment of carey specials which are great for imitating just about anything. Have fun and good luck.