Floating Baitfish Patterns

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    Besides Leland's and Roger's excellent patterns, does anyone else have any floating searun cutt or coho baitfish patterns they'd like to share?
    Pics and a recipe would be appreciated.
    I've been messing around with some patterns. I'm not really pleased with the results but I hope to see if they will result in some hook-ups this weekend.
    These are about 2.5" long. Except for the very thin one, I've been glueing sheets of closed cell foam together then trimming the bodies to shape.
    Don't laugh to hard. :D
    SF

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    VIUcutthroat likes this.
  2. nailbender Active Member

Ratings: +35 / 0
    I like the skinny one best. I remember roger posting that he cut the tube at an angle then added a sequin on some of his. Always thought that was a cool idea.
  3. ryfly Addicted to flyfishing

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    Yeah, Sliders work really well.
    Stonefish likes this.
  4. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Eyejuggler, Jeff Dodd and Stonefish like this.
  5. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +859 / 0
    gurglers work great, and smaller versions of bob's banger tied with a trailer hook. the flat face with the hole dead center slides as well as any other head and can also be popped and made to make more of a commotion if necessary.

all of my popper fishing, whether offshore or in the kelp for coho or for rockfish (nice having one popper head that works for both) has been with gurglers or modified bangers.

i did have some great success on sea-runs last spring on the following pattern. it was tied on a single hook so it was shorter and the bucktail was veiled with some uv pearl shimmer fringe.

[IMG]
  6. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Chris,
    I like the look of that pattern. Did you make the head or purchase it?
    I've got Gurglers but I'll have to tie up some Bangers. What diameter are you using for the head?
    I've been looking around for some very small slider heads, more like panfish size but can't seem to locate a source.
    If someone knows where to purchase them please let me know.
    Thanks
    SF
  7. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,253 / 4
    I ended up with one of those Banger patterns Chris tied for a coho swap last summer. I havent fished the pattern yet but ive always thought it was a really neat looking pattern.
  8. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    the foam is large boobie eyes cut in half. you could probably also custom order the x-large size

Boobie Eyes

For coho popper patterns I use 3/8" or 1/2" foam cylinders. For sea runs I would go with the 1/4" although you have to go a bit longer for floatation which equals using a trailer hook.

Foam Cylinders

I've tried a bunch to make poppers with more realistic profiles but I'm pretty sure the fish don't care and the time and effort don't seem worth it. Hell, the most popular popper pattern has the profile of a dick and it catches plenty of fish.
  9. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Thanks Chris
  10. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Here are some Gurglers. I saw the version with eyes on another site so I tied up a few of them.
    SF

[IMG]
    formerguide, flybill, Pat Lat and 5 others like this.
  11. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,253 / 4
    very nice looking ties, Brian
    Stonefish likes this.
  12. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Stonefish, have you liked at Rainy's Pee Wee pops? I think they have them at the fly shop in Poulsbo.
  13. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +97 / 0
    Sweet ties fellas
    I like the idea of the gurgler with a stinger
    It might pick up some of those slashing fish
    Alexander, do you lace a stinger leash under the foam?

Nothing beats catching a fish that jumps before you hook it
    littlefishJB and Stonefish like this.
  14. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    really nice gurglers... i may beg you for some this upcoming summer ;)

the gurglers i have fished with success typically have a short tail so i have not worried about tying them with a trailer. for sea-runs i tie them on a longer shanked hook and they seem to hook fish just fine.

i have a fond place in my heart for gurglers.... 2010 west of PA having 8-10 lb coho's explode on them in 10-12' of water in the few open areas in thick kelp beds. it was only one to two tides, but i would give up 10 days of neah bay for a single high tide of that fishing.
    Jeff Dodd, Rich Schager and Stonefish like this.
  15. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    There is also a pattern called a Puget Sound Slider. Rather than having the foam on top, the foam is punctured by the eye of the hook and wrapped to the sides. The body could be any kind of baitfish pattern. The foam is tied down about 3/16 in. behind the head and then clipped off a bout the same distance, depending on the size of the hook. It sticks out a bit to the side and causes a wake much like other poppers but it doesn't pop, hence the name slider.
    Stonefish likes this.
  16. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Thanks for everyones input and ideas. Keep them coming.
    Searuns have been my salt fix lately, but I'm really looking forward to this summers salmon fishing.
    SF
  17. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Just an FYI for those that like tying foam patterns. I've been having trouble locating some foam colors I wanted locally.
    I made a quick stop into Michael's craft store today.
    They have multi-color (4 sheets per color) packages of 9" x 12" closed cell foam sheets on sale for $5.90.
    40 sheets should last me a lifetime.
    SF

[IMG]
    porterHause likes this.
  18. porterHause Just call me Jon

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    They also sell 6mm foam sheets for $.88 each that tie some nice skaters etc.
    Stonefish likes this.
  19. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +343 / 1
    The Michael's stuff is self-adhesive. I usually cut two pieces and stick them face to face. You can use two the same or two different colors that way. Once together, a good, large pair of scissors will trim them to the size you want and you are right. I bought a 12 pack about three years ago and am still using it though I don't tie foam flies often enough.
  20. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Steve,
    Michaels sells both adhesive and not adhesive foam. What I posted is non adhesive.

I messed around today beta testing some of the flies I posted. I ended up hooking three fish on the second fly in the first series of photos I posted.
    It had a nice action.
    I also got a very nice fish on a popper with a chartreuse head.
    SF

[IMG]
    [IMG]