Floating Baitfish Patterns

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Stonefish, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    Kelvin ties up some nice flies. That is a really nice squid pattern.

Here are a couple of more chum fry floaters. Mylar over foam.
    SF

[​IMG]

Eyejuggler and plaegreid like this.
  2. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

If you use a softer tail such as the grizz hackle that Jack uses your fly gets a very nice wiggle action that can enlist power strikes

SnoBuster likes this.
  3. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Member

Gorgeous fish. What's your preferred method for coloring up the head--guessing florescent highlighter? How well do the colors hold? Keep up the great work with your trial and error; looks like you're having fun and getting great results!

4. Stonefish

Media:
    Tool,
    You can by Pee-Wee Pops in chartreuse. No need to color them.
    It has been fun messing around with different patterns. Some have worked well, others not so much.
    SF

5. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    I have had good luck using the chartreuse heads for coho as well as Searuns... not that white wouldn't have worked, but if they're keyed into chartreuse clousers, it's worth a try, and might boost your strikes.

Stonefish and Eyejuggler like this.
  6. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

As I recall Chum fry stay close to shore in about 3 feet of water until the reach a length of about 1/2 inch at which time they head into deeper water. Very shortly after that they head into to the open ocean. I would thank that the smaller top water flys that you are fishing may be more effective if the were tyed to look more like a Sand Lance as the Sand Lance is not spooked by light and will spend time in the upper water column. Larry has said that his top water flys work just as well with nothing but white as the Cuts are looking up and would only see the belly.

7. Stonefish

Media:
    Bagman
    Thanks for the info. I've been fishing the patterns I've been tying on both a intermediate and floating line.
    To be honest, most of the bigger cutts I've landed recently have been on the intermediate. The way the fly rises on the pause between stripes has resulted in some pretty serious hookups... and misses. ;)

I'm just having a fun time lately seeing what will work after taking a long hiatus from searun cutthroat fishing. Needless to say the experimenting part has been as enjoyable as the catching has been.
    SF

8. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Stonefish, your explanation makes a lot of since. I'm like you in that I enjoying the research. I worked in R&D for over 40 years and my wife keeps telling me I'm still doing R&D with fishing here in WA. Unlike you I have not been fishing here for 30 years and have had no one to train me on the fine art of fly fishing for the great fish here in the Puget Sound. So the web and this sight is my friend and has taught me much more then I have been able to put into practice. I have learned that WFF posters are like many of the people I have worked with over the years, they will give you a lot of information but sometimes you have to really read carefully to find it between the lines. Keep it coming I will learn it some day.

Stonefish likes this.
  9. Stonefish

Media:
    I finally ordered some Rainy's round 1/4" foam. Played around a bit with it last night. I colored it up with a silver metallic sharpie and added some par marks to imitate chum fry.
    I think these look better then my previous versions.
    SF

[​IMG]

plaegreid and Eyejuggler like this.
  10. rotato

rotato Active Member

Tastey!

11. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Last Spring I had excellent success for sea-run cutthroat skating a top water chum fry pattern plus similar subsurface chum fry pattern as shown in first photo. I used a section of 1/8" foam cylinder for the head, HMH micro tube, and Gamakutsu SC-15 #6 hook.

The second photo shows an assortment of top water patterns. The patterns from top to bottom are pile worm, sand lance, sand lance, chum fry, and Delia squid. I have had exellent success with all of the patterns with great hookup ratios. All of the patterns are tied on micro HMH tube and Gamakutsu SC-15 #6 hooks. The foam heads are either small pencil poppers, 1/8 " or 1/4" foam cylinder sections, or Cascade Crest Tools small foam poppers.

Roger

Attached Files:

Stonefish likes this.
  12. Stonefish

Media:
    Roger,
    Thanks for showing the patterns.
    Where are you getting your junction tubing for the micro tubes?
    I can't see to find any locally.
    SF

13. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Junction tubing is actually gas line tubing for model engines. I use to be able to get it at a local hobby shop for $.30 per foot. It went out of business and have not been able to find another hobby shop that carries it. I now get junction tubing from Puget Sound Fly Co. for about $2 per foot.

Roger

14. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Search "Silicone Fuel Line" on Ebay. $1/ft shipping $2. Many colors to choose from.

HobbyTown sells the same for ~$1.25/ft

15. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

You can also buy Tygon tubing at a pet store. It's used for air pumps in fish tanks.

16. Stonefish

Media:
    Thanks for the junction tubing suggestions. I've been able to find every size locally except the micro.

Played around a bit more today with the round Rainy's foam. I like the look better with both ends of the foam tied down.
    This one came out at 3" in length.
    SF

[​IMG]

plaegreid likes this.
  17. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    This is a surface action version of the Chum Baby fly. I tie it without the bead, in sizes #6, #8 and #10. I use fly floatant or Hydrostop treatment to help keep it up on top of or near to the surface. I like to fish "Greased Line" style, and this lightweight version of the Chum Baby works very well for this kind of approach. Sometimes working a sparse fly, one with lots of soft shimmering action, just beneath the surface, will entice those fish into a fearless, unhesitatingly brash grab of the fly.
    http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com 20140316_184225.jpg

Tacoma Red and Stonefish like this.
  18. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

19. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:
    I currently fish a pattern tied on a long shank streamer hook that consists of a short, flashy type tail, sparkly dub body, and two strips of foam over the back cut thin. Very quick to tie and I'm guessing it looks like a sand lance when viewed from below. Looks similar but thinner than one of Stonefish's patterns from a few pages back.

I'm guessing you could get plenty of fish on nothing more than a dink popper head and hook, but I haven't actually taken the time to test that out yet. For years I would only fish small steelhead skater type flies and those were very effective. They didn't look anything like a baitfish.

20. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Bump

plaegreid likes this.