fly fish trout in western washington

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by flytie, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Never been there, either to fish or stomp.

2. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Oops. I looked very superficially at your picture and thought you were someone else. Sorry!

3. Travis Bille

However, I do recommend the trinity river if you like sea run browns

Itchy Dog likes this.
  4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Had to get this important intel quoted before Travis wakes up and deletes it.;)

Travis Bille likes this.
  5. Itchy Dog

All chocolate labs look alike so the confusion is easily understood as it is forgiven. ;)

Old Man likes this.
  6. Travis Bille

Haha the trinity is no secret. It was featured a while back in northwest fly fishing magazine for its sea run browns.

Thanks for the laugh though!

7. Travis Bille

Funny that I accidentally accused you of being from California.

Just tonight my wife and I were talking about needing to get your olive the woolly bugger books for our daughter. I'm even planning on tying her some comically large flies to go along with it, with the hooks lopped off so theyre more like toys. Quite the coincidence!

Love the books, I hope my daughter does as well.

Derek Young and Itchy Dog like this.
  8. Itchy Dog

Flattered, I am. Pm me your address and I'll send you a autographed bookmark and a sticker for your daughter. How old is she?

9. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Fear not... there are no secret spots left in WA (or much of the US for that matter)... rarely fished spots yes, secret no.

Welcome Flytie. Ed (we know him as Mumbles) has good advice about searching for information here on the site for any rivers of interest. If you don't find anything about it, it could be the new secret spot ;).

10. NW_flyfisher

NW_flyfisher if it's not this, then what?

there is also the Elwa River out on the Olympic Peninsula, the state just recently removed a dam, well about a year ago, so the area below it is going through big changes, but hiking quite a ways up riber past its prior location will reward you with some beautiful native cutts

11. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

NW_flyfisher-
    I think that with the removal of the dams the entire Elwha has been closed to fishing and will like remain so until colonization of the various anadromous species is well established; a decade??.

Curt

12. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

I had the same problem, I think checking out those little blue lines is an awesome idea. Most people work very hard to find trout streams west of the cascades and are pretty tight lipped about it. I have found numerous creeks on the west side with plenty of trout eager to take dries, all of the streams I have fished are almost devoid of rainbow trout in all of the creeks I have fished combined I have probably caught 5 rainbow trout all of the hundreds of other fish were cutthroat. But the upper Skykomish and its tribs are a great place to start.

13. WA-Fly

WA-Fly Active Member

I totally agree

14. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Why in the world would folks want to place the region's native anadromous salmonids at risk by planting exotics like brown trout in our streams??

What is next? Smallmouth bass and walleye in all the quality and fly only lakes in the state? Maybe Asian crap?

Of course eliminating all native steelhead in our waters and replace them with hatchery steelhead, catchable rainbows and brown trout or two makes as much sense.

It is the great diversity in our native salmonids (species and life histories) that make this region such an interesting and unique place to fish. Somehow I think this area would be a much sadder place without our native sea-run cutthroat, bull trout, steelhead and our various salmons to fish for.

Curt

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

They took that dam out on the Clark Fork. The river cleared up plenty fast. A couple or few years. Faster than they though it would. Why does Washington State always look like the doom and gloom of all the states. Hell, salmon are already coming back to the Elwah. It doesn't take a river to recover as long as they think.

16. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

OMJ -
    I agree the flushing of the sediment accumulated behind some of these dams can wash out fairly quickly - that is in less than 8 or 10 years. However remember that on the Elwha there are 3 ESA species (Chinook, steelhead and bull trout) that folks are hoping to recover. Even if the sediment issues are resolved in say 2 years (highly optimistic) it is hard to imagine that those species would be able to rebound to desired levels in anything less than 2 fish generations (assuming 4 years/generation that would be 8 years); again that is being fairly optimistic. Best case that is still a decade out from the removal of the second of the two dams (yes having the impacts from two dams to deal with might prolong the recovery period).

Curt

17. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Interesting.... This is a really old thread and we are still pondering the same questions. My good friend, Bob Jones, who posted a couple after me passed away more than two years ago. We often talked about this to and from the Snoqualmie River while on our way for spey casting lessons. I haven't been a "trout" fisherman for many years as you can tell by my post. I quit out of frustration but recently I was re-introduced to a trout fishery that I did when I was a boy growing up in the '50's. I used to fish it with my grandfather. Though I won't publicize the location, it's a well known place and there are many beautiful 16" to 20" fish. They aren't easily caught but when they are hooked, they are worth the trip. It's one of three or four locations that I have discovered quite by accident, while fishing for bigger fish. I'll leave it at that but my advice would now be to not get frustrated and to keep at it. After 30 years, I have been pleasantly surprised that there are actually trout out there and in good numbers, worth fishing for.:)