Fly Fisherman, only?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by shadowcast, Jun 18, 2013.

1. PT

PT Physhicist

A lot of the spoon takes I get are a simple "tick." Not much more than that. Lots o' tugs but many are just a simple little "tick."

I'm with Bellows in that you really need to leave the gear rods at home if you want to figure things out with the fly. I didn't start catching steelhead on the fly until I decided to leave the drift gear at home. They're hard enough to catch without switching tactics out of desperation.

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

i feel no guilt or shame of any kind telling people that
    i love drift fishing with bait for winter steelhead.
    i used to think catching steelhead on a dry was pretty cool,
    until i got into tide water chinooks on bobber and eggs.

3. William Wallace

William Wallace Active Member

90% flies and 10% conventional. I love it all as long as I am fishing. As said before each place has its arsenal. I strictly fly fished for many years, then one day picked up my dusty drift gear and went. Had a great time!

4. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

mostly tree point , but I chum fished in Lynn canal & Taku inlet

5. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

At 11 years old I put away my Zebco bubble and fly rig and started fly fishing full-time (trout mostly). In Colorado fly fishing was the only way to go unless you wanted to catch lake trout or kokanee. The people I saw gear fishing never seemed to catch.
    When I moved to western Washington I didn't know fly fishing was practical to catch salmon or steelhead, but I quickly learned otherwise. My first couple of years out here I buzz bombed from the beach, tossed cut-plug herring for salmon, and used Dick Nites for silvers in the Snohomish. It worked great, but it never felt right to me. I badly wanted to catch those fish on the fly rod so I could feel them eat the fly. When I landed my first salmon on a fly rod on the lower Stillaguamish everything changed and I became 99.5% fly fishing.
    I accept that gear fishing for winter steelhead is superior when the water is high and colored (jigs are deadly and sink fast). Also, you must fish gear to consistently catch chinook in saltwater (downriggers). Fly fishing can be better for summer steelhead during lower flows, and you can even outperform gear from the beach for salmon often times. Sadly a fly will never dance and smell like a well-rigged herring in the current under a float. Catching salmon in the river is a great challenge on the fly rod, but can be tricky without a boat and some sink tips. The challenge is half the fun.

6. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Do you remember Larry Barcott and Mike Holmstrom

7. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

yes they were fishing there when I was there. I fished a Walh bro. boat built in canada named the Dolly.

8. shadowcast

shadowcast Member

Thanks for sharing everyone. Awesome stories.

9. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

I have fly fished exclusively for the past 40 years , except on two different trips . I bought myself a level wind and suitable rod to bottom bounce for Chinook on the Atnarko River near Bella Coola .It turned out to be a 13 day trip of pure hell . Mostly (entirely) because I did`nt have a clue how to do it properly . And , as it turns out , neither did my mentor . It quickly turned into a trip of the blind leading the stupid . After that trip , I swore I`d never touch a gear rod as long as I lived . But then a few years later I became intrigued with learning about center pin fishing . I bought a reel , and read as much as I could about the technique , rods , reels , terminal , blah , blah , blah . Then I went out and bought a Damon Metal head rod . Cool name , but the rod is`nt very well suited to B.C style of fishing . It`s a 13 foot long , 2 piece noodle , that is probably well designed for tossing vey light weights on 4 pound test line . It`s not a good match for 10 pound test and 1/2ounce weights , and it`s a major pain in the ass to transport . I used it for 3 hours on one trip , as I quickly realized I did`nt know how to use this set-up either . No mentors this time . I keep promising / threatening myself that this is the year I`ll take it up north with me on my annual 3 week Skeena trib steelhead extravaganza .
    It`s a promise I`ve yet to fulfill , but maybe this year .

10. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

i agree that chinook in saltwater is a gear gig except for the rare occasion... but you certainly do not have to downrigger fish to consistently catch chinook in saltwater. it just comes down to who is doing the fishing, the fisherman (mooching or jigging) or the skipper (downriggers).

just because downrigger fishing has taken over the saltwater gear game, doesn't mean it is the only or best way to catch salmon... only the easiest (and least connected).

11. Fishee

Fishee Member

I started of gear fishing for Salmon & Steelhead in my younger years age 14-20, i would of love to fly fish as well, but the fly gear was too expensive for me at the time. I use to bobber fish for Salmon off the pier in West Seattle. Is kinda nice and relaxing during warm summer mornings waiting for Salmon to take your bait and watching bobber going down. I didn't start fly fishing until i was about 22 or so.

12. FT

FT Active Member

I've fly fished exclusively since age 9 which makes it 51 years now. Why? because I enjoyed doing so far more than using spinning or casting gear and lures, spinners, or bait along with the challenge of deceiving fish with bits of feather and fur. Plus, I saw good trout fishers outfish folks using spinners, bait, live bait (i.e. minnows) many, many times when I was a youngster. I've fished for trout, Montana Grayling, steelhead, kings, silvers, chum, kokanee, humpies, largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, northern pike, muskellunge, bluegill, sunfish, perch, crappie, shad, pickerel, and buffalo carp.

I now fish nearly exclusively for steelhead and plan on continuing to do so with fly rod until I can't stand in the river any longer. Since I've seen George McLeod fly fishing for steelhead at age 91, I figure that is a long time off.