Fly Fishing for Salmon and Steelhead

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by FlyNewbie, Aug 19, 2014.

1. FlyNewbie

FlyNewbie Hooked...

Hi,

This is the first year that I will have tried fishing for these big boys with a fly rod. I think I have my rod and reel squared away 8wt 9ft, but I would like some tips that will help me catch fish. I don't want location information or any of that, but more fly and techniques, rigging etc.

Anything help would be greatly appreciated, PM me if you don't want to make it public. Thanks!

2. TK-421

TK-421 Banned or Parked

Salt or fresh for salmon? If steel, you should look at Spey/switch. You don't want to be a dirtyassnympher, but you can still get setup for swinging flies with the 8wt singlehander

3. FlyNewbie

FlyNewbie Hooked...

Hi,

I am thinking fresh as it's easier for me to get to.

4. TK-421

TK-421 Banned or Parked

I would look at lining your rod with an ambush triangle taper with the clear intermediate head and maybe get yourself some t-8 and t-11 in various sizes for getting deep. For coho, flies should probably be jiggy, like barbel eyes or some other form of weight. Rio outbound would also be a line worth checking out but I prefer the ambush. Local fly shop could help with flies, but something flashy is a good idea. The ambush would also work well for steel when swinging subsurface. If all else fails get some dick nite spoons and a Spey rod w/ skagit head

FlyNewbie likes this.
  5. FT

FT Active Member

One of the best things you can do for yourself is pick up a couple of books on steelhead fishing with a fly. I recommend you start with Dec Hogan's book on steelhead fishing. Then pick up Bob Arnold's STEEHEAD WATER. These two books together provide a wealth of information on steelhead fly fishing for both summer runs and winter runs. A very fine book on fishing with floating line for summer steelhead is Bob Arnold's STEELHEAD AND THE FLOATING LINE. Trey Combs STEELHEAD FISHING is another great book, but some of the info on the river featured in it is a little dated - this book was written in 1989. If you can afford only one book, get the Dec Hogan book. Heck, you can even borrow them from the library.

At any rate, taking the time to read Dec's book (and both of Bob's books afterward) will provide you with good solid information on fishing for steelhead with a fly rod. And be prepared to put in time on the river, lots of time, before you hook your first one.

Old Man likes this.
  6. FlyNewbie

FlyNewbie Hooked...

Thanks for the info, I will get that reading material today. It may be stupidity or overconfidence, but I think I will catch some fish.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk.