Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fly tying vises

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  mcronariver 
#1 ·
I am currently looking for a new fly-vise, I am tying #2 speys, steelhead and salmon--down to #20 drys on my Thompson A vise. I am looking for an upgrade and would appreciate any advice? I am looking for a vice I can use for production tying as well as personal experiments.

Thanks,

Mcronariver :beer1

#2 ·
If I were a production fly tier (horrors) I would think that the Regal would be a good choice; no adjustments to make, just stick the hook in and release the lever. If you feel you need a rotary vise take a look at the new Peak vise. Patrick's Fly Shop has a couple in stock. I've been tying on one for the past couple of weeks and am very satisfied with it. It comes with standard jaws at $115.00 with a pair of midge jaws available for another $20.00. It's a very nice-looking vise, stainless steel and brass and comes with a pedestal base.

#4 ·
I just upgraded from a $10 vise that I learned to tie on quite some time ago, I wonder now why I waited so long. I figured that I was not going to buy another for a long time, so I bought the best I could afford. After searching and researching for months, I found a used Dyna-King Professional. The vise is all Prescision Machined Stainless and Anodized Aluninum, came with a McKenzie Light and Magnifier, all for $200. I'll tell you, that vice will more than likely last me the rest of my life. I'm a Machinist by Trade, and this vise impresses the hell out of me. I'm glad I got it, the only thing I've found that is close for the money since I bought it is the Renzetti Presentation, Cabellas has it on sale now for $234. Personally, the Dyna King is all I could ask for, especially at the price!

#7 ·
It will hold anywhere from as small as a #18 all the way up to a 6/0, wich is larger than I have ever had a need for in the Puget Sound, Fresh or Salt Water, and anything smaller than a #18 is too small for me to tie so I buy them anyway. Mine has the C-Clamp, I'm a heavy handed tier and the pedistal does not give me the ridigity I like. The Dyna king website has a mfg suggested price of $319(Mine was $200 used), but if you have to have a new vise, Their Kingfisher is only $99. This particular Vise (Professional) is considered a Standard vise, but is rotary capible with a tension adjustment. Fly Rod and Reel Mag. had a two part test on vises last year, either Feb. and March, or March and April. They went over all the vises that are regularly available, chech it out, there is alot of good info there.:thumb
http://www.dyna-king.com

#8 ·
You might want to check out the Danvise which is featured in all the Gary LaFontaine tying videos. It's a true rotary vise with lever action jaws and a widely adjustable C-clamp base. I've used it for 3/0 to #24 and it has greatly exceeded my technical expectations. (Then again, what wouldn't after twenty years with a $15 vise?!) It's available through www.greycliff.com for $80. I don't know if it would stand up to the demands of production tying, but it's a terrific value.

#9 ·
I am in about the same place, but I like to tie up to 3/0 or even bigger occasionally. I am looking at the Renzetti Traveller, though. And I have a Thompson Pro 2 with a pedistal base, and I love it, so the traveller has to have a pedistal, too.

I too, will have to peak at the Peaks....

Rob

#10 ·
I have to agree with some others here. If you are thinking of one vice for the rest of your tying life, look at Dynaking and Renzetti. When looking at Renzetti, look to the Presentation. A few months ago I got one on Ebay for 167.00. This is a well made vise. Design, machining, fit and finish are all well done. The Dynaking is definitely equal in quality. I like a C clamp but the tabletop base is handy for travel. I think there is a Presentaion as well as a Master on Ebay now. Just search for Renzetti.

Tim

#11 ·
Pedestal bases have worked fine for me. If it's heavy enough, there's little or no movement even when reefing hard on a 3/0 salt water pattern. Most pedestal bases have a soft, somewhat tacky, rubber-like, material on the bottom to keep things from sliding around while relying on weight and size to prevent tipping.

#12 ·
I suppose the big question is; lever or standard. The lever models seem quick and easy to deal with, I have tried a few but I was wondering over time if the tension gets weak? I also noticed some have grooves in the jaws, what are the advantages there?

There are almost too many options, but the response has been great! I will continue the search for the right vise, the article in fly fishing magazine sounds interesting I will have to check it out.

Mcronariver

#15 ·
You can buy it either way, but the same vise for both. The guy I bought mine from had it with the pedistal and wanted to keep it, so when he ordered his Baracuda, he got it with the c-clamp and just gave it to me with the Professional.

#16 ·
IF you want to check out the Danvise, Orvis also sells for $80, and they have 'em in stock.

For the money, that's an awful difficult vise to beat.

I understand the Apex Anvil (or is it the Anvil Apex? I forget) is a great deal. Like the peak, it's stainless steel. However, I understand it comes with a pedestal base AND a C-clamp.

I have a Regal bronze (pedestal) model, and although a great vise, unless you swap out the jaws, the standard jaws don't hold the small hooks very well. When I bought the Regal, I was debating between it and a Renzetti Traveler; although I like the Regal, in hindsight I with I had bought the Traveler. :thumb

#18 ·
I'm a profesional fly tyer. But I'm not a commercial tyer. I only tie for clients. You're NUTS if you tie commercially for stores. Usually with even the discounts you get buying from a distributer, the shops only want to pay a small markup over your costs. Too crazy for this kid. I stocked up on what I needed, and tie as customer wants. Much cheaper in long run, and not as tedious as tying 1000 size 4 polar shrimps. :7

If you truly are going to be a commercial/professional tyer, I'd highly suggest either the dyna king or the renzetti. I have the dyna king, and LOVE IT TO DEATH!!!!!!!!!! I liked it more then the renzetti. I actually sat down for an hour on both, and enjoyed the dyna king more. Don't ask me why. Just have to learn to set jaws, but if you tie commercially, you will only have to preset once since you'll be tying quite a few of one size at a time.

I will say, you WANT a rotary if you production tie. Not as important for the everyday joe, but for production it is. You lay the body on like a lathe, and you get more even, beautiful production flies since you see all angles of fly. You're not stuck guessing what you did on the other side of fly.

Good luck. I opted to stay away from bulk tying because I love to tie, and WANT to do it, not HAVE to. I know I did a couple shops for 2 orders, then said "Nahhhhhhhhh". Wasn't worth time/effort for what I rec'd.

#19 ·
I am seriously considering the Dyna King Pro--good feedback. I have yet to tie flies proffesionaly, besides selling flies to certain individuals but I mostly give them away. I find myself learning new patterns and tricks thanks to all of the people who have devoted so much of their lives to the art. I have not bought any patterns through distributors, I used to work in a fly shop and guided so I recieved a discount on flys. Now I am hoping to go to the next step we'll see--

If you have any advice on distributors you have used and had success with (economically speaking) I would appreciate your input (Mcronariver@yahoo.com). Thanks again!

Poor fly-fisherman

Mcronariver:beer2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.