Force Fin question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kaiserman, May 10, 2013.

1. IveofIone Active Member

Ratings: +1,108 / 0
    :)Hands down the best set of fins in the world-Frankenfins! You are looking at the only pair in existance, about $35 plus the cost of two quick release straps. On or off in less than 5 seconds and no looseness or wiggle ever. Powerful yet with soft tips that are easy on the legs. The 10 year old boots (about 30% Aquaseal by now) will be upgraded next month. Ya just can't buy stuff this good over the counter. IMG_0810.JPG
    Eyejuggler and Chad Lewis like this.
  2. Rick Todd Active Member

Ferndale/Winthrop
    Ratings: +237 / 0
    Ive-even thought they are good, you have to put up with the the grief your friends give you every time you pull them out of the truck!;) BTW-I really like my adjustable force fins. I use boots with them most of the time, because I fish rivers a lot and take the fins off to wade fish sections of the river. But for cold water in a lake I use neoprene booties and you can use either one with the adjustable ff's. Rick
  3. SHigSpeed Active Member

Rocklin, CA
    Ratings: +46 / 0
    I see Caddis fins (the green tips - I have owned a couple pair and they work great) but what are the black parts, Outcast?

Very cool!

_SHig
  4. IveofIone Active Member

The black part is Watermaster(cheap black stiff plasticized rubber) and the Caddis fins are the old ones made of perhaps silicone rubber. More expensive but far more flexible. As good as the Caddis fins were they had several weaknesses. The expensive material(they were eventually molded out of the same cheap crap everybody else uses), a lace up design that required a lot of pull to tighten and small grommets set in soft material that had to absorb all of that pull. They were difficult to put on and get just right but once they were on they were the Cadillac of fin power.

Then Force Fins came along and everyone jumped on that bandwagon. The problem with FF is that they have never really improved or morphed into something better. They are what-a 40 year old design by now that is still being sold at premium prices but with no significant upgrades. After using FF and my cobbled up Frankenfins I can tell you for sure that there is room for improvement on FF. I would compare them to the 8-track player in my '69 Volvo-great at the time but time has passed it by. The only reason people are so gung ho about
    Force Fins is that they have never used anything better. We would still love our 8-tracks too if cassettes, CD's and MP3 players hadn't come along.

I can envision a much cleaner method of ingress/egress along with more power. One area that needs to be investigated is the use of multiple durometer materials ranging from stiff to soft for different zones on the fin. What works at the heel is not necessarily the tight material for the tip of the fin. The materials are readily available and molding machines that do this have been around for years. If Force Fins would spend some money on R&D instead of just squirting rubber in the same old mold and pocketing the profit you guys would see some fins that are truly worthy of your raves. If you are charging $200 for a set of fins just saying my 8-track is better than your AM radio is not enough.

Ive
  5. SHigSpeed Active Member

Rocklin, CA
    From a fellow Caddis fan, here is what I'm left with...

Funny story, I went into a favorite lake a few years back and was sad to lose one of my black fins on the trail coming out. Not long after, a friend of mine mentioned that he still had a pair of fins that I had loaned him twenty odd years ago! A pair of green Caddis fins! :)

So I hike back up to the same lake with my "new" green fins, and wouldn't you know one falls off my foot and it sinks! I could have SWORN these float, but maybe the extra hardware tilted it the wrong way?

So I have one black, one green.

You can see the mod I made on the green pair - using some poly tubing to set the pocket width I used zipties to bind the sides together. Also, in place of the ladder lock strap I added a simple bungee so no adjustment necessary.

[IMG]

That said, I do use non-adjustable FF for my drive-up lake fishing. Though I can't propel forward with the FF like I can with the Caddis, they are very comfy and efficient for me if a bit (lot!) on the heavy side.

As for variable stiffnesses/durometer, I agree. For my ultralight backpacking fins that I'm building, the main spars for the blade of the fin are doubled up to about half length, then single for a "fast action". The platforms also flex to a certain degree to push more than churn and it's a simple slip in / bungee heel affair.

Check out http://washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/index.php?threads/custom-ultra-light-float-tube.74396/page-6 for more details on the fins (and my tube).

_SHig
  6. IveofIone Active Member

SHig, ForceFins should hire you, sign you to a handsome six figure contract and put you to work. You are something they don't have right now-a 21st century thinker.
  7. SHigSpeed Active Member

Rocklin, CA
    Where do I send my resume? :)

_SHig