Fun with a Golden Stone pattern....

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tinman207, Sep 9, 2013.

1. tinman207 Active Member

Ratings: +112 / 0
    I didn't post this in the fly tying thread because I am not really much of a fly tier, but this is one I worked out a few years ago to fish the Cedar, the one I call the "Bow Candy Stone". I wanted to make a more realistic stone that wasn't too tedious to tie, since I lose so many of these on roots and rocks. This past year I figured out a way to turn out a fast supply of my wingcases, and that made it pretty slick. This one is a little thin in the abdomen and it is typically thicker at the end there....I'm too lazy to take a new picture of a better one.
    I pair this with Jim's CDC Cedar Stone and do great everywhere I have used them. I tie it weighted for use as the main nymph, and non weighted when I trail it behind Jim's heavy CDC. (this one is non-weighted and that is part of the reason the abdomen is not quite the correct shape here)
    Anyhow, I thought I would share it, as I gave a handful to a friend who fished all over Canada and the US this summer, and he just killed with this thing, so that was awesome to hear.
    Tied in #6-8
    Tail: Turkey Biot
    Abdomen: Yellow latex kitchen cleaning gloves cut into strips.
    Legs: Turkey biots
    Thorax/Gills: Dark gray ostrich herl
    Head and wing cases: Tyvek sheet from used postal envelopes colored with waterproof marker and glazed with Solarez.
    Antennae: Longer turkey biots, or synthetic paintbrush bristles
    Abdomen colored with waterproof markers and coated with Solarez flexi.
    IMG_2563.JPG IMG_2564.JPG IMG_2565.JPG
  2. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Wow. Looks good to me, and I would guess the fish also.
  3. Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    Derek Young likes this.
  4. tinman207 Active Member

Nice! That thing just looks juicy!
  5. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,659 / 0
    Ha,Ha,Ha. I could never tie up a fly that looks so nice. And these are some good looking flies.
  6. Evan Virnoche Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    that thing looks real as all hell
  7. LD Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +83 / 6
    That is amazing...nice tie.
  8. Mountain Man Member

North Bend, WA
    Ratings: +45 / 0
  9. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +174 / 0
    I'd be to afraid to loose it
    It looks to damn nice
  10. tinman207 Active Member

Thanks guys...it is a killer pattern to fish. That's one of the problems I have with some of the realistic ones that take hours to make and are pointless other than cool art. That was my goal with this one; to make one that is realistic enough, but I can tie fast and cheaply since I lose A ton of them on structure in the Cedar. I have gone through quite a few materials to this point, and really the only thing I still tweak much is the legs. Biot legs take time to knot. I will put a movie on and tie up 15 or 20 of these, and be good for a few trips out. I always end up giving them out to people I meet on the water too, so I always keep a handful in one of my boxes.
    I'd be happy to take some shots of how I make it if anyone was actually interested.
    constructeur and Joe Goodfellow like this.
  11. Old406Kid Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +87 / 0
    Damn, did the math on that. 3 hour movie, 5 to 7 an hour. I could spend a week trying to tie one that would end up looking
    like crap anyway.:eek:
    Obviously I could use the shots and a tutorial.
    Very impressive.
  12. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +420 / 0
  13. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +420 / 0
    Yours as well tinman! :p

I'm with the Old Man... can't make my flies look like that. Nice!
  14. c1eddy Member

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    It definitely gots dat fishy look, for sure. I'd love to see how you build it.
  15. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +727 / 1
    I'd kill myself on that if I was a fish! Very good looking pattern and I would say you are understating your tying skills a wee bit.
  16. tinman207 Active Member

I should post an array of my tying examples, then you could see why I am pretty critical of my tying. I tie a ton of these, and other nymphs, since that's what I mainly use, so my nymphs I consider pretty ok. I never had a proper tying education, I learned when I was about 12 from a guy I called grandpa but wasn't really blood related. He taught me to tie soft hackles and muddlers, and after that it was just up to trial and error. I look through the fly tying thread and just drool over the quality of some of that work. Anyhow, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was trying to "humble brag".
    I'm glad people dig it.
    I will find a tripod for the camera and tie one up step-by-step tomorrow. It is actually pretty easy.
  17. Cuttbow82 Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    wow! and you say you aren't much of a fly tier??? I'm assuming you just mean you don't tie much, not a lack of ability. Those flies look amazing!