G&L Fly Craft Rods :: Bow River (6wt) & Whitler Spey Series (7wt, 10'3" Switch Rod)

Discussion in 'WFF Gear Program' started by Chris Scoones, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Ratings: +283 / 0
    [IMG]

G&L Fly Craft Rods :: Bow River & Whistler Spey Series

Bow River 6wt, 9', 4pc (BR906-4) Unavailable while being repaired

"Bow River Series. Can a single fly rod be your "go-to" rod for everything from tricos to streamers, with some hopper-dropper and weighted indicator rigs thrown in to boot? Until designing our Bow River Series of fly rods, we couldn't say "yes" either…but we're confident these rods will become the go-to rods of discerning anglers the world over for the finest in all-round performance. And that's not to say they're a "general" rod, either. We designed them to effortlessly handle the big water, big wind, and big fish we encounter regularly on the Bow River and waters like her, while being a joy to fish on smaller freestones or spring creeks as well. "

"Bow River rods are SMOOTH casting rods capable of staggering distances with laser-like accuracy, and are built TOUGH. Thanks to our proprietary scrim material, this is not a rod you're afraid of breaking by tangling with a larger-than-expected fish or a high-speed impact with your bead-headed fly."

Whistler Spey 6/7 wt, 10' 3", 4pc (SW-1036/7-4)

"We couldn't be more excited to announce the release of our newest series, a collection of short double-hand or spey rods developed for fishing Pacific Northwest and Western Canadian waters. The development of this series was spearheaded by Brian Niska, one of the valued members of our G&L Advisory Team."

The Whistler Spey series is a 7wt switch rod, capable of both proficient single hand and spey casting.
  2. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    Update: As of 8/18 these rods are now available for demo.
  3. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Wow, the Bow River 6wt, 9', 4pc (BR906-4) is a canon, and exquisitely crafted par excellence. Smack, right into the teeth of the wind, not a problem. Picking up a sink tip, piece of cake.

IMHO, this is a high performance rod that's great for tossing streamers or big bugs. Next, I'll see how it does for skinny water and more delicate presentations, but I really like its feel. The sock needs a little adjustment to allow the second piece to slide out without catching the guide on the braid. But that's it by way of criticism, the rod is just a pure pleasure to cast. :thumb:
  4. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hey--thanks, Jim! Glad you like it! I just fished a 7wt version of the same on some trophy rainbow lakes in Northern Alberta last weekend and impressed myself all over again! ;) You're sure right about it handling line with authority in the wind without being a broomstick when presentations require more delicacy. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that we've already made adjustments to our custom bags/socks...I'm afraid they hadn't arrived by the time we shipped the rods to Chris or you'd-a never known! :)
  5. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +59 / 0
    I gave the 6wt Bow River a test drive this past weekend. It's definitely a unique rod. The top half of the rod does almost all the work and the butt barely flexes at all. It seems weird, but it also seems to work. Within a few minutes of stringing it up, we were bombing 90+ foot casts... in the dark... with line that was covered in dust from casting on a dirt road.

The next day I tangled with a big steelhead on it and I definitely wasn't undergunned. I ended up losing the fish, but it wasn't the rods fault.

I kind of wish I had one to break just so I could see what this rod is really capable of lifting. The fit and finish are top quality too. If my favorite rod brand ever goes out of business, I might just have to give G&L a serious look.
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
    OK, I'll fess up right off the bat. I broke the tip of the demo rod (Bow River 6wt).

I'd like to say that it was simply to test out the manufacturer’s customer service and warranty program. Or at least say it happened in the heat of battle with a crazy pissed steelhead. But here's the real story...

I first tried the rod on a float down the Sky this Nov. As I pieced it together, I was amazed at the craftsmanship and attention to detail. Simply awesome.

The rod felt different in my hands than your 'normal' 6wt taper. The lower section felt more like a fast action 8wt - ready to help shoot your line great distances or handily conquer the meanest of chum salmon. But oddly, the tip section felt like a medium (even slow) action rod. The combo felt awkward at first, but once I started casting, I felt right at ease. Distance or short casts were handled well. I could fish a dry fly with finesse or shoot a streamer like a laser.

I tried fishing an indicator rig and handled just fine too. Another fun aspect of this rod is that it didn't feel like you were overpowering the small trout and whities at all. The rod tip bent nicely and cushioned the lighter tippets just right. When I hooked a toothy chum, the fight quickly transferred to the lower section and I never felt under gunned.

I fished it the following week on the Green. It was definitely a fun rod to fish. And while I brought several rods, this was the rod I spent most time with.

On my last day with the rod, I just had to fish it one more time. I stopped off at a favorite spot on the Snoqualmie and hooked into a few chums and whities before work. Then I had to scramble quickly back to my car to make it back to work for a meeting. In my rush back, somehow I broke the tip on a passing branch or black berry bush as there were many reaching for me along the trail.

I'm pretty sure that if I ever step into Chris's yard again, he's already given Niko strict orders to gnaw my leg off on first sight.

Sorry Chris. So did you get the back from them yet? At least we can see how quick they can turn around a repair\replacement...
  7. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Hi Chad! I just got back from a Christmas break and read your post. I'm very happy you enjoyed the rod...you're certainly right that it's a unique taper (intentionally so, of course!). :)

No worries on the break--these things happen! I haven't actually heard from Chris but I'll be expecting to see the rod and get 'er turned around right away. We'll have to include another stick for demo use at the same time...any requests from the WFF gear-heads? Chris tells me we need something in the 4wt range...

Hey--all the best for the new year!

Warmly,
  8. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    John, while not wanting to appear too greedy, but since you offered, I would love to see your Bow River rod design in a 4 wt. I am thinking that it would be an interesting bridge between a fast 4 wt. with a sensitive tip, and a 5 wt rod. :thumb:
  9. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    i just picked up the 7wt switch rod and im amazed at the craftmenship and the fact you can see who ever made this rod REALLY cared , and didnt have a quota to fill that day:)
    i am new to this aspect of fishing technique , spey casting has become the ART OF CASTING to me, showstopping and a treat to watch. regular trout rod casts have just not captured my attention for awhile but i have to tell you, i have only grass cast this rod with a simple wf8 wt line and it guns it out there. i cant wait for the river when i have an anchor to set the line up. kudos for G@L
    bhudda
  10. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks, Bhudda! I'm glad our passion for our craft is appreciated by our fellow ff-ers!

Hey--has anyone heard from Chris lately? We've never received back the BR906-4 that was apparently damaged/broken and we'd love to get it back into service and add a couple more to boot.

Warmly,
  11. Chris Scoones Administrator

North Bend
    John, been wrapped up in work, family and site projects to the point where some other items have had to be put on hold. I'll have the BR906-4 back to you soon. And thanks!

Chris
  12. rodandreel New Member

Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks, Chris! Looking forward to getting this stick back into your lineup and a few more for your users to try out! I can sure relate to busy! :)

All the best,
  13. ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Seattle, WA.
    For the 6/7 switch: Would this cast a 6/7 SH line or a 6/7 Spey line?

CW
  14. Frogpoop New Member

Dearborn Mich
    how well would this rod work for indy fishing the limestone creeks?
  15. Dan Soltau New Member

Bozeland, MT - Raleigh, NC
    G&L Fly Craft Rods :: Bow River (6wt) & Whitler Spey Series (7wt, 10'3" Switch Ro

my guess, overkill. these rods sound excellent, but a 7 wt switch rod is going to lift 2 lb trout out of the water. fun though and quick releases!
  16. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    G&L Fly Craft Rods :: Bow River (6wt) & Whitler Spey Series (7wt, 10'3" Switch Ro

I would agree you're likely right-on Dan, but probably perfect for turning summer runs on columbia river tributaries, and Fall browns.