Gangs in rural Grant County?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by casaboba, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +164 / 0
    Jim, jim,

I think you need to buy yourself a subaru or Prius, sell or give away all of your firearms ( to me ) , listen to NPR and drink a double organic carbon neutral latte.

All will be well ; )
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    You can always count on me to keep things classy
  3. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    You are a true friend. Thanks for the intervention, Tom. Let's see . . . Subaru . . . Prius . . . no guns (they are evil, don't you know, 'specially the "black" ones) . . . NPR . . . and a passive, emasculating, politically-correct latte versus a "built" Wrangler/any 4X4 . . . fine firearms (in particular sweet 20 & 28-gauge shotties and <MOA-accurate centerfires plus a "few" classic handguns), real tunes, and strong libations. Okay . . . thought about it. Decided on: Jeep, more guns (love the new "suppressor law" . . . .22LR, .223, & .308 seem like appropriate designations), old-time R&R/country, smooooth whiskey (and that ain't hardly enough "o's" to describe such exotic nectar) & the same 63-year-old attitude that has kept me both alive & young since 1948. Yup, that'll work. Oh, and beer on my Cheerios. I'll likely also continue to be accompanied by athletic, fit, strong, & talented hunting dogs. Let's go fishing before my pup arrives.
  4. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +643 / 0
    Gangs in rural Grant County? The rest of the story . . .

WTF happened to the rest of my post, he asked? In summary . . . "Attack, always attack."
  5. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    I have a feeling that even if they do read English, they'll still be honest in saying "me no understand."
  6. Mike T Active Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +54 / 1
    Zetas Cartel leader grew up in Yakima.

http://o.seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2014830371_estrada21.html

Man arrested as Mexico cartel leader once lived in Yakima County

A man who Mexican authorities say is a leader in a violent drug cartel responsible for the deaths of more than 200 people once lived in Yakima County in the Tieton area, friends and acquaintances said Tuesday.

By Mark Morey and David Lester

Yakima Herald-Republic

PREV of NEXT

Martin Omar Estrada Luna, alias "El Kilo," was arrested Saturday.
    Enlarge this photo

MARCO UGARTE / AP

Martin Omar Estrada Luna, alias "El Kilo," was arrested Saturday.

YAKIMA — A man who Mexican authorities say is a leader in a violent drug cartel responsible for the deaths of more than 200 people once lived in Yakima County in the Tieton area, friends and acquaintances said Tuesday.

The man, identified as 34-year-old Martin Omar Estrada Luna, was arrested Saturday by the Mexican navy. Several other suspected members of Los Zetas drug cartel also were arrested.

Friends and acquaintances in the Yakima Valley say the man who was paraded before the Mexican media Sunday had plenty of run-ins with authorities here before being deported.

They and local law-enforcement officials said Tuesday the Estrada they knew was headed for trouble at a young age. He dropped out of school and took up a life of crime.

"Martin made his own choices. He went where the streets took him," said a close boyhood friend who works in Yakima and asked not to be identified.

"A career criminal"

Tieton Police Chief Jeff Ketchum said he has known Estrada since Ketchum started working for the Police Department in 1994, about a year after Estrada started racking up his first criminal charges in juvenile court.

"I would label Martin as a career criminal. He got away with a lot of stuff. He got named in a lot of stuff, but you could never pin it on him," Ketchum said.

Mexican authorities arrested Estrada in a house Saturday in Ciudad Victoria, the capital of the state of Tamaulipas in northeastern Mexico. But acquaintances and police officials question whether Estrada could have risen to a post as high in the cartel as Mexican authorities allege.

Mexican authorities, who put up a $1.2 million bounty for his arrest, said Estrada was one of the leaders of the Zetas' San Fernando cell, which they blame for killing more than 200 people found in mass graves in Tamaulipas.

Authorities there began uncovering bodies in mass graves in early April after reports that passengers were being pulled off buses at gunpoint in the township of San Fernando.

There has been speculation that the Zetas gang was forcibly recruiting extra members for its fight against the rival Gulf cartel over access to key drug-trafficking routes into the United States.

As of last week, 145 bodies had been found in 26 graves. San Fernando is the same place where 72 Central and South American migrants were found slaughtered last August.

It was unclear when Estrada, who was last deported in 2009, would have built such strong ties to one of Mexico's leading drug gangs.

"I can't see it, but who knows? I don't know what the investigation part of it established," Ketchum said.

Local records show Estrada falling into the gang life instead of making it to school with any regularity.

Acquaintances said he left the Highland School District well before he would have graduated in 1995. That year, he pleaded guilty to second-degree burglary in connection with the theft of a Ford Taurus from the district.

Ketchum said Estrada openly admitted to being a gang member, and court records show "El Kilo" as his nickname in the 1990s. The friend said Estrada picked up the nickname from a fragment of a lyric in a rap song by the late rapper Eazy-E.

Besides the burglary charge, his adult felony convictions in Yakima County involved a burglary and brandishing a knife in Tieton.

When he was sentenced in 2006 for an immigration violation, federal prosecutors pointed out that he had amassed 16 felony and misdemeanor convictions.

Records show he has multiple aliases, including Estrada-Delamora, the name he was charged under in federal court.

"Mr. Estrada-Delamora has not learned how to live in society without preying on others," an assistant U.S. attorney wrote in a request for a higher sentence.

Estrada was ultimately sentenced to 41 months for returning to the United States a third time after being deported twice before.

Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE) said Tuesday that he was deported in 2009 from Reno, Nev., after completing his sentence.

The ICE database shows no contact with Estrada since that deportation.

Family still in state

However, the friend of Estrada's said that the last time they had contact, Estrada was living in Laredo, Texas, just across the border from Nuevo Laredo.

The friend said he encouraged Estrada to be a good person and to reconnect with his young daughters, who live in the Yakima Valley.

Estrada's ex-wife, who also lives in the Yakima area, declined to comment Tuesday. Other relatives could not be reached or did not respond to messages.

Regardless of his history and the accusations against him, the friend said Estrada had another side to him.

"He was a nice guy. He would let you borrow money, his car or his clothes," the man said.

But he said Estrada always wanted to be a leader, not a follower.

Ketchum said he occasionally checked a MySpace account believed to be Estrada's. Pictures there show a heavily tattooed Estrada, consistent with the memories of Ketchum and a Yakima County sheriff's deputy who once arrested him.

Information from The Associated Press was included in this story.

Comments E-mail E-mail article Print Print Share Share
    More Local News
  7. norcal51 Member

coeur d alene, Id
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I propose we take 50 kilos of coke/meth/weed whatever they are in to and put it in a field right outside Yakima. spred the word that the last man standing gets it all. let them shoot it out for the drugs. when there is a last man standing I will be posted in a Gilli suit on a hillside about half a mile away with the 50cal. the winner will be in for a surprise. seriously though, these guys will never stop if they are associated with the cartels. shooting one of them will only make the problem worse for all. It will create more paranoia for these gun happy guys and that's just what we need is them thinking all of us are a threat. I grew up right outside of east Oakland and have to agree with Dustin, mind your business keep a friendly attitude, avoid eye contact if they are starring at you and just keep walking on, just like dogs they smell fear and will react on it. You will not win pulling a pistol on a group, I dont care how good you are you will end up dead these guys play for keeps. Ive bumped into bangers when heading out and a smile and nod worked for me. they feed off the word respect, unfortunately they have forgotten its meaning. Its a sad reality.
  8. Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Wow.... sad but true, reality opens some eyes on both sides of this issue.
  9. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    You guys do understand that this is all ruse to keep you guys away from my Yakima waters. We have to go to great extremes to do this. :beer1::beer1:
  10. flyslinger tweakers are bad, m'kay

seat-hell, wa
    Instead of covering them up, they should deport them up here to Snoqualmie Ridge. I'll keep an eye on them, on my dime.
  11. GATOR9 Hey you guys

Yakima, Wa.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Hey Hey Hey Hey, quit boobing I mean bashing Yakima. Were just a little old town with "girls gone wild". As far the bikini girls in Yakima there nothing more than large thingamabobbers, you see them during the bikini hatch on the Yakima all the time.:):p

Now admit it that is why you guys come over during July and August isn't it. :beer1:
  12. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
  13. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    people smoke pot to get mellow. they don't then get behind the wheel and endanger their fellow citizens. mellow is the state of mind they are after and that translates to a private environment not driving home from some bar with you and me on the road. i would legalize this in a heart beat as it is still the major money producer for the illegal drug trade and would become a great source of revenue for any state who moved forward on this notion.

and keep in mind, if you drop the hammer, you could be the one serving time. get the facts regarding shooting another human being, ahead of time, so you can think through your options with a clear mind way ahead of any split second situation, you just might be surprised. and the caliber of your choosen firearm makes zip difference if you can't shoot to kill, 'cause thats what you are talking about here, so be realistic with yourself, you will have a lifetime to live with the consequences.
  14. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +682 / 0
    The guy that crossed 3 lanes of traffic and killed my sister also thought smokin dope was harmless, and for him it was because althou you can blood test for Pot there is no way you can put a time line , except that they were high within the previous 12 hours. Thats why the bastard never did any jail time or paided a traffic ticket. So don't give me this B.S. that pot is harnless , thats just some dumb mother fucker pot head bullshit talkin shit !!!!
  15. gt Active Member

sequim, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    loosing a loved one is a terrible tragedy, sorry to hear your story.
  16. kingpuck new to fly fishing but loving every minute of it

Mountlake Terrace, Washington
    This thread is precisely the reason I'm planning on getting a concealed weapons permit and planning on carrying at all times while in the woods. I'm even considering carrying in the city. Quite frankly our police are stretched thin and can't be everywhere at once. It's to the point where I don't feel that "law enforcement" is sufficient. Even if they catch the guys what will they do, make them stay overnight and post a fine then let them go. Nothing like a little steal to make them think twice.
  17. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Well I just love the way the media and "enlightened folks" are dealing with police incidents. The cops are always wrong. An addicted homeless person who was a regular at the lockup is a "woodcarver". He may be. But his official title should be a "homeless man with long history of drug and alcohol abuse who was known to the local community as a woodcarver for tourist shops". he didn't drop the knife after how many requests? I don't speak russian, but if a russian cop is yelling at me with a sidearm out, and I'm holding a knife, the second thing I'm doing is dropping the knife. The first thing will be an involuntary response.

The one where the cop punched the girl? Since when is it okay for anyone, let alone a teenage girl to get in a cops face and lay hands on him. If they are that close, they can grab your baton, your mace, your sidearm... You need instant seperation, what do you do? Anywhere other than France, Wales and Scotland a punch to the grill will buy 3 to 5 feet in a nanosecond. In the aforementioned places the headbutt is the sanctioned move.
  18. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    Agreed on all accounts
  19. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,621 / 0
    The cops aren't always wrong, for example the videoed incident of cop punching stupid bitch for interfering with an arrest. Seattle cop Ian Burke used worse than bad judgment when he shot alcoholic woodcarver John Williams. I watched that tape three times. Sure, Williams should have dropped his knife, and if he were cognizant that he was even carrying it, he may have. Williams posed no imminent threat to anyone. Cop Burke of his own free will closed distance on Williams while telling him to drop the knife. All he needed to do was maintain some distance between Williams and himself, which wouldn't have been difficult since Williams was just ambling down the street in "open carry" mode. Instead Burke closed the distance while telling Williams to drop the knife three times and then firing at Williams four times. So for being drunk and stupid in public Williams was shot. Sometimes the cops do make mistakes. This was one of those times, and now Burke has to live the rest of his life persuading himself he had no alternative but to shoot Williams with clear, cogent, and convincing evidence to the contrary.

The take home lesson is that one should always obey a cop who has drawn his weapon. Otherwise you may end up dead, regardless of whether you're innocent or guilty of any crime.

Sg
  20. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    It's easy to think that way. Williams was as they say "Well known to law enforcement authorities". We don't know the real details of info exchanged on that beat because no cop is going to come forward and support Burke by saying "yeah we all knew that woodcarver was getting more and more out of hand" because suddenly it's a blue conspiracy and they're in front of the Grand Jury or the Civilian Review Board. We don't know if the word was Williams was escalating in his aggressiveness, or failure to comply.

Kind of like fishing on a stretch of water where a land owner comes out everytime and yells at you even though you're below the high water mark. You exchange stories with your buddies about it. All of a sudden that landowner starts coming with a rifle and yelling at fisherman. Are you going to change your posture in that situation? Some will stop going because they don't want to be the one who's there when it escalates more. But everyone who does go will be on their toes. Cops don't have the option of avoiding a section of their beat. They have to go, and they have to keep a mindful eye out for "the usual suspects". You couldn't pay me to do that job, but I have nothing but respect for those that do. I believe I once read where G. Gordon Liddy said that cops should be "retired" from street patrol after something like 15 years. Can't remember the exact number. That putting someone too long under that stress was just inhumane.

Does it seem like a righteous shoot? No. Is it as black and white as the media puts it forth? No. Should Williams have been on the street in the first place? We can argue that.