NFR Geologically, what's going on here

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wadin' boot, Nov 18, 2013.

1. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

toilet bowl.jpg

Oh and where is it for those of you who like mystery...

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I'm not sure about the geological aspect, although it does look like a small stream is moving in, but I do know exactly where that is. Just Northwest of an area that would not do well with a Rust-O-Leum plant as a primary source of employment.

3. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Nice little lagoon at Point Defiance yes? Not sure why it formed up.
    Jack

4. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

*totally guessing*

Abandoned plunge pool of a waterfall. I would guess either from a catastrophic event, or something that went away with the last ice age. The image does not quite zoom in enough to see if I am seeing a cliff next to the road or just some shadows.

Looks like a fall cutting back along a fault of some kind.

Dark material along the shore looks pretty solid. In WA there is a fair amount of Oligocene sediments exposed along the OP that looks like this. But honestly I have no idea where this is...using the road name as a cheat...Great Lakes?

5. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Looks like a winner. I revise my wild ass guessing to small stream erosion.

6. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Boot,

Check the underwater topographic map for that area. It looks like a submerged landslide occurred off of the steep ledge next to the beach. It might have triggered a mini-tsunami on the other side of the sound :eek: .

7. golfman44

golfman44 Coho Queen

Nate Treat landed a Blue Whale there on his 4wt. Whale put up a good fight, thereby creating this structure.

Mark Mercer and wadin' boot like this.
  8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Not sure what is going on there geologically, but I've caught silvers and blackmouth mooching there from a boat when the tide is a bit higher.
    SF

wadin' boot likes this.
  9. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Someone is sneaking a dredge barge up to the point in the middle of the night and is stealing the beach while everyone else is asleep.

c1eddy and plaegreid like this.
  10. wadin' boot

Do you have a link, I want to check that idea out as it is the most appealing, that doesn't look like a pattern you see with a feeder stream which should fill an alluvial fan of debris, it looks either man made, extraterrestrial or from a subsea slide. Imagine that, you're there putting in some casts, the next thing you know the beach vanishes below you, gone...

11. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

Try hydrological forces. Tides in there really rip in every sense of the word. Most of the area is a large clay shelf. Trying to walk around the edge of that hole at low tide feels a little like when they were trying to throw Luke Skywalker off Jaba the Hutt's air yacht to his death by worm.

By the way, the road above contains the 3 1/2 mile mark of Five Mile Drive.

12. rotato

rotato Active Member

Plenty of memories from here
    Nice loads of true cod
    The creepy never never land
    I swamped an 11 foot whaler in the rip off the pillings
    To relate it to another thread I caught a steelhead there 35 years ago
    The old timer on the boat told me to remember the fish because I would never catch one in the salt again
    Lots of schools of herring from there to the bridge
    It might be over fished but it is still a sweet spot

13. wadin' boot

The hydrology there no doubt is marked, but to drill down like that means a softer layer where the hole is, harder where the edge is. Tides in and tides out should have filled the hole, unless it went straight to the pit of hell, aka Jabba's sand worm. Maybe there is a big hard rock at the bottom that spins with the tides, cuts the hole like the way a pothole forms in sandstone. I like the idea of an undersea cliff. You could also argue that softness is due to a fault running along point defiance, the fault being directly under the toilet bowl

14. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

kiddy pool?

15. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Could it just be something different in the substrate (think I used that word right).

Kind of how sink holes will suddenly appear out of nowhere, in a spot that folks thought was totally solid all the way across?

J

16. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

I haven't been there in many years, but isn't there a runoff? outfall right there at the top of the "lagoon"???
    Jack

17. Robbi K

Robbi K New Member

image.jpg

It would be interesting to hear from a diver who has seen the underwater structure here. My guess is that this is an unusual result of deep tidal current erosion in very complex glacial deposits and bedrock. Also, there is a fault line that runs NW/SE very near this structure that may have some connection. Cool spot.

wadin' boot likes this.
  18. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Izzat Mingo?
    ;)

19. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

My minor was paleoanthropology, which contains a ton of geology. I'd need to see a larger picture, but it doesn't look like a plunge pool or outflow of any kind to me. Probably a function of littoral deposition reacting to a submerged structure or some weird currents in the area.

20. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

It also could be the melt location of a big chunk of underground ice from the last period of glaciation. As the beach eroded this depression merged with the shoreline. There are plenty of pothole depression ponds in the Puget Sound area away from the shoreline.