Git on out there! Time's a wastin!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jim Wallace, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

None of us has a moment to lose or waste in idle boredom. Not one moment.
    Another one of my surf buddies passed away Friday. He was a couple years younger than I am, and was a very good surfer, before he quit surfing. Three weeks ago he found out that he had cancer that had started in his liver and had spread throughout his body, including his brain. The doctors told him he had maybe 6 weeks left.

He lived for only 3 weeks after he was diagnosed.

2. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

My condolences, Jim.
    Another tragic reminder to enjoy life while you can.

3. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Sad to hear the news. When you get to retirement age you start thinking about mortality. I just found out a friend has cancer. I hope to God I never get it. Regular trips to the doc and meds keep me going and it's not so much trouble when you get a bit older. We try to squeeze every bit out of life. That's my plan, anyway.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I am not a picture of health, but for an old guy I'm in half assed shape. I go to the doctor once a year to keep up my meds. And I hate this spell checker. It underlines a lot of spelled words that are spelled right. Like And is underlined. Whats up with that.

flyfool likes this.
  5. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

I am truly sorry for your friend. Please keep in mind that we live in a country that is the very best at ER care and maybe the poorest at preventative care.

6. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Sorry to hear, man.

7. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

That is so sad to lose a friend so unexpectedly. Take care Jim.

8. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Amen. Get to it.

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for the loss of your surfing buddy Jim.

10. Jim Wallace

Thanks for the sympathy, but that's not why I posted this. Barry and I didn't hang out together much on land in recent years. However, we surfed the same breaks and got along well sharing waves in the line-up, since the mid-80's. Nobody saw this coming. Im sure that regular checkups might have discovered the cancer sooner, but it would still be the "big C."
    Another younger local man (old school buddy of another surfer friend of mine) who is only 48, is recovering from colon and rectal cancer. That was discovered last year. So 50 is pushing things a bit if one hasn't yet gotten their colon "scoped." I need to go have it done.

We can celebrate our birthdays, but usually, we never know when we have only one year left. That's one "anniversary" I intend to celebrate every day, just so I won't miss it.

Thanks for the tune, David.
    I know an elderly "millionaire" who still sits there thinking about his money and investments all day, trying to figure out where's the best place to re-invest his dividends. After doing that for the last 20 something years or so, he rarely leaves his house any more, since he's too old and out of shape from all that sitting there to do much of anything except maybe to walk out to his mailbox each day, and drive to nearby shopping and doctor's appointments. He has a house keeper who also works as a in-home care giver. Whenever I see him and ask him how he' doing, he tells me how much he's worth at the moment, not much else. Makes him feel secure, I think.

flyfool and David Dalan like this.
  11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Good plan, Jim. Life can be fleeting. When I hit 60 a few years back, I promised myself that I'd never waste a day, so when I'm free of chores/other obligations I'm in the outdoors or doing something else worthwhile. I also never pass-up an opportunity to do things with my adult children. Life provides an abundance of opportunity vouchers & I strive to redeem as many as I can . . .

Jim Wallace likes this.
  12. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Surfers never really die, but my sincere condolences to you.

13. Jim Wallace

We old surfers just smell like we died, like old fishermen. Might be the wetsuit, though.:D

14. Brian Miller

Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of your good friend. May your memories always be vivd and golden of the times you spent together.

To your point about the title of the thread... my younger remaining brother, his son and I will be embarking on a rigorous (to strenuous) 4-day backpacking trip in a couple of weeks up to fish some high alpine lakes my brothers and I visted nearly 40 years ago and even though I was a climber for 15 years, is one of the most beautiful high places I've ever been to. It's something we spoke wistfully about at Christmas and I asked then if my January hip surgurey were to come out well if he would like to go back. I've stayed fit despite two years of pain in every step and this will be a celebration of life and good health for both of us.

15. 10incher

10incher Active Member

JM2C... Life is all about what you want it to be. That means you have the option of setting goals, and then deciding you DON'T want the struggle of reaching them. My point is that you shouldn't feel bad for not reaching goals if you didn't want the struggle. And you shouldn't feel bad about the struggle if want the goals. So many people seem either too wound up or too complacent. Do what you have to and then do what you want to. Most of the time in that order. And separate yourself from anyone who wants to judge you. Jimi Hendrix said it best: "I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die. So let me live my life the way I want to." Spend time with people that you enjoy. I try to remember that life is about the journey. No one lays on their death bed and says "Look. I finally made it." I also try to remember that lifes obligations compose a list too long to ever complete. You can spend all your time trying and never catch up. It's a futile battle that we're going to lose anyway. So stop trying. It sucks time away from life. So journey on to the things you want to do. If that's providing for a family you love, then great. Don't be a whiner if it's hard. You have a choice. If it's becoming as rich as possible, that's fine too. But don't brood over the two points you lost on the last deal. That doesn't focus on the journey. And if it's bumming around with a fly rod in your hand, great. But don't bitch when you have to sleep in your car sometimes. Never fail to see the riches of your choices and you'll never be poor.

Burying a friend some years ago I saw several guys that were in our circle back in the day. I hadn't seen many of them in ten years. Grouped up after the service I said "it's good to see you guys. We really need to find happier reasons to get together." Of course they all agreed, but I haven't seen any of them since. You know how it is though.

flyfool likes this.
  16. flyfool

flyfool Active Member

Thanks for posting that. I may be playing it too many times. Well, maybe once more won't hurt.

17. GAT

GAT Active Member

Life is indeed short. None of know when it is our time to go and it may be much sooner than we think. You are correct. We should strive to work less and play more. No one on their death bed says "Damn, I should have spent more time working."

18. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I've been playing around for 14 years now. Plan to play around a little longer.

19. 10incher

10incher Active Member

I'm on another forum for tube amp geeks. There are lot of "senior" members there. Tubes are pretty old technology after all. Sometimes one of our rank will be gone for awhile. Anything over a week and we all start to worry. There have been a couple of close calls with extended hospital stays. Now, I haven't been a member here long at all. But I've been on that other forum for twenty years, since it's inception, along with a handful of others. Many posters come and go but for my time there it's not unusual to have known someone for five, ten or all twenty of those years. These guys are my friends. So I'm sure that Jim is speaking to his friends when he started this thread. Sharing an epiphany in the hope that no one he cares about passes on with too much regret.