Glass Redfish

Discussion in 'Arts and Literature' started by allenro, Mar 24, 2013.

1. allenro Active Member

Northeast coast.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    A gentleman from Texas emailed my out of the blue looking for an 18" redfish. I think it came out nice but it seems the top fin got bumped during shipping and became a little loose. Have to figure out how to address that in the future.

[IMG]
    GAT, Stonefish and Jackd like this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +963 / 1
    One way would be to wrap it up and stuff it in an appropriate sized box. Then fill the space in the box with that expandable foam used for filling drafty spaces in houses.

We bought a stone glazed jug back in Amish country one year and had it shipped out. How I described is how they shipped it. The wrapping serves to keep the foam from sticking to the shipped object.
  3. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    That's a nice one. I was just talking about redfish (I always called them Drum) yesterday. Wondering how/what you used for the spots at the tail?
    Jack
  4. allenro Active Member

Northeast coast.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Spots are black enamel paint dotted on with a pencil eraser.

Interesting idea with the foam - thanks bill.
  5. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +315 / 1
    Another way to ship it takes a bit more time but will protect your work much better. When complete, cut three pieces of quater inch plywood in a size that fits your shipping container. The middle piece can have a cut out the shape of your work while the other two can remain whole. Lay one piece down, then the cut out with the work and then a third piece on top like a sandwich. You can also pad it lightly. I'd take the time to screw the pieces together so they don't shift and then put them in the shipping container. Sounds intensive but having done some glass, it is far less work than the project itself and it will protect it well. You can add the price of the wood to the shipping cost and your buyer will appreciate the care you have taken, in my opinion. Nice job on the fish, by the way.