Go Pro?

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by Mark Walker, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Missed some shots of radio tagging and releasing a 55 pound Chinook...bawling:

2. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Gear rod, but I took this from my Go Pro 960 Wednesday.

3. BruceAC

BruceAC Member

Hey Mark
    i am sure some of the replies you get on this thread will be helpful,
    though probably not as inspirational as link below...

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

I've used GoPro's a bit, but ended up buying a ContourGPS for my own use. I like the rotating lens as well as their app that lets you use your phone as a viewfinder to frame your shot. With GoPro, you have to buy the LCD BacPac for an additional $80 to see what your camera is seeing.

5. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

Thanks alpinetrout, I don't use a cell phone. I will be getting the LCD BacPak to go with it.

6. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Got the LCD backpack for xmas today and already like it alot. Much nicer to see what's happening. That said, I couldn't see enough detail to tell that it looked like there was a naked woman on whatever was on T.V. in the background. My dog ruby was also not impressed while she guarded the tree.

View attachment 46716

7. colehatch

colehatch Member

Just curious how you charged it over 5 days?

I have the GoPro HD2 and it's a sweet little rig. Here's a few still shots and a couple videos from it. I'm far from mastering using it and the editing videos. The stuff below I was playing around with the different camera settings so a few of the videos have 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios combined. The stills are a little washed out due to a really cloudy days and I shot the pic against the sky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mark Walker

Great stuff here guys! Keep 'em coming.

As Fate would have it, Santa decided I should have the new GoPro HD2.:thumb:
    Of course Santa didn't know I just bought the regular GoPro!:beathead:
    Looks like I'll have one for sale! Haven't used either one yet.

9. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Colehatch:

I had two back up batteries with me but only needed to use two batteries for the 5 day trip. I did not take any video as I used the picture every two second function plus only used the camera when going through rapids The camera was only on for approximately 1/2 to 1 hour each day.

Roger

10. veilside180sx

veilside180sx Member

Keep both, you'll find uses.=)

I have 3. lol

11. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I have the Contour HD mounted to my cap. Best thing I ever did. Awesome video and sound, tracks fish under water with the polarized lens, light, and can mount at any angle with the adjustments. Downloads real easy, like I said..It's great to have when you want to re-live those catches and see what you missed, or did right. High quality picture and sound.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Mark, next time you are rowing, one on your head, one on the craft pointing back at you. I bet both angles will be fun to watch!

13. Mark Walker

I think one on my head and one one pointing at Jeff may prove more entertaining.

14. teedub

teedub Active Member

I got one a couple of weeks ago. I am intending to use it when guiding. I think it will overcome many of the missed photo/vid ops when a client has a fish on, the anchor rope has a knot in it and no one in the boat can find their camera. I have been testing it with my lab pup in fast action situations and so far - so good! Unless I can grow a third hand, this seems like an answer.

15. when you guys were taking those still camera shots was that set at burst of 3 mode or time lapse set on a photo ever 2 seconds or something? here is my go pro video on the GoPro HD hero

16. Jim_Creek

Jim_Creek New Member

I shoot all my river snorkeling videos with a gopro. If you are thinking about buying one consider two things:
    Get the Hero 2. Way better image quality.
    Get the new underwater dive housing that counteracts the fish eye, turning the camera into a kick butt underwater HD rig.
    Here's an example of my underwater shots:

17. Scotto55

Scotto55 New Member

Wow, the Hero 2 is impressive, great underwater footage!

18. what do use guys use to edit your videos on the computer? Or how do you edit them?
    thanks

19. xdog

xdog Active Member

I just recently got the GoPro HD2 and I and still very much learning trial and error. I have been editing mine off my iPad using several editing apps primarily iMove and SloPro.

Here is my most recent effort:

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  20. Nice video and nice spread. I don't have a iPad though haha You were so close to getting some awsome under water footage of your lab chasing that wigeon under water! Also do you know if the Gopro 2 works with the remote they have for the cameras now??
    thanks