Going back into the past

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Olive bugger, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

A thread over in the Steelhead section about Ralph Wahl got me recalling my past association with fly fishing here in Washington State. One of the truly great people I had the opportunity of meeting and fishing with, was Dawn Holbrook. Dawn, for those that do not know of him, was one of the premier bamboo rod builders of the PNW in his time. I had the good fortune to attend one of his classes on bamboo rod building. My efforts were evidence of my inability to handle a plane But Dawn was, as always, positive about the adventure.

I was just wondering if anyone else out there had the pleasure of knowing or even learning from this master?

2. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

I never met Don.
    But I did get to meet Enos Bradner. It was at a book signing at the long gone Renton Sporting Goods store for a book he'd written. It was around 1969 or 1970 and I had just gotten my drivers license, so my fishing buddy and I went to see him. I still have a copy of the book around here somewhere.