Golden Age Passport/Senior Pass vs. Discovery Pass

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by zen leecher aka bill w, Jun 4, 2014.

1. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

I'm headed to Yellowstone next week and was researching the discontinued "Golden Age Passport" now called Senior Pass. It's good at most federal sites and the info says it's good for BLM and other.

I'm wondering if this $10 permanent pass would suffice in most Discovery Pass required areas. It doesn't appear it works in WA state parks but may at federal areas.

2. Old406Kid

Old406Kid Active Member

3. Craig Hardt

Craig Hardt aka Nagasaurus

Unfortunately the Golden Age Passport won't cover you on WA state lands--you'll still need the Discover Pass for parking on any state lands that aren't covered by your WDFW parking permit.

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

You have to read the small print on the discover pass sign. the old fart fed. pass works for all BLM lands, like the Umtanum parking lot on the Yak, or on Big Pine; places like that. Anything that is held in conjunction with BLM is OK. It's a great use of ten bucks!!

5. zen leecher aka bill w

As I stated I believe those lands not covered are state parks only.

6. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

There are some Department of Natural Resource lands that require a Discover Pass. Some accept a Dept F&W pass.

BTW....IF you have a Golden Pass do NOT let any agency swap it for a Senior Pass. The laws setting up the passes is different. And at one point there was some discussion about treating Golden Passes differently than the Senior Pass.

You can no longer get a Golden Pass.

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Yep, Senior Pass is for federal lands and parks. Discover Pass is for WA state lands only.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Boy, am I glad I live in a state that doesn't make you pay through the balls to fish or hike or pan for gold.

9. 5shot

5shot Member

Nothing like paying taxes and still getting to pay to use public land...like primitive, unmaintained dirt roads on BLM Land. It's awesome when the legislature spends every penny they are allotted and then pilfers the funds from other areas to make up for it. Then when that runs out, pass another tax or fee...after all, you wouldn't want to cut wasteful spending.

fredaevans and bennysbuddy like this.
  10. zen leecher aka bill w

It's a shame you don't pay your share because it would lower our share.

11. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

When I lived and fished in Washington all we had was the fishing access pass. In 8 short years all access went to hell. I can't believe that in order to have fun in Washington State, your passed to hell. I don't think that I could live there anymore. Sure the winters are hell here. But I can fish all winter long. And I do just as long as my body lets me. It sucks getting old. You wake up with a different ache every day.

12. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

There are also benefits for disabled citizens here in Washington. I went to Potholes a few weeks back and stayed at the Park there. The fee would have been $135 but because we were in my brother's truck and trailer, the fee was 50% or $62.50. We also did not have to pay dump fees for the holding tanks. He has a disabled plate and I.D. that was checked by the Ranger there but he was happy to reduce the fees.

13. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I have the disable parking pass because of my knees. It worked at Dry Falls one year. Half price in none of those trailer spots.

Now I'm close enough to very good fishing that I don't have to camp out to stay at a good spot. I just jump in my truck and go.

14. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Oh sure:rolleyes:
    Zen, you really don't know how government taxation works do you?
    Your share, of the screwing, is never reduced because someone else is being raped.

LB