Grant County Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Patrick Gould, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Yesterday I decided to head out to Grant County for some exploring. There are some lakes that I've been thinking about all winter. Some are on the maps and some aren't. All are stocked with fry and fingerlings of various species of trout. Between Google Earth, Delorme and a call to the regional WDFW bio I had enough info to find them.

My first stop was at the Columbia Wildlife Refuge Desert Unit. The lakes are about 2 miles from the end of the road. They look nice, but a light watercraft, or at the minimum a pair of waders are needed because they're mostly ringed with reeds. If you did lug in a boat or tube you'll almost surely have the place to yourself.
    After that I went to took a look at Soda, Goose and some other little lakes in the area south of Potholes Lake. They look nice and have good access for watercraft.
    Next stop was another unit of the Columbia Wildlife Refuge in search of another stocked lake. The problem in all these areas is the abundance of small ponds. It can be hard to figure out which lake is which. I think I found the one I was looking for, but I'm not sure.
    At this point it was about 5:30pm and I had only visited half the spots that I wanted to. I also hadn't caught any fish. I decided to go for my back up plan and head to Rocky Ford. I got there about 6:00pm. Many cars and fisherman in the first lot and the second. Thankfully the last lot was empty. I parked and headed down to the metal bridge. I caught two and LDRed two more right away. The one in the pic was about 25" and thick. After that I went to the "monster hole" and got two more, both over 20-22". A third broke me off and took my most productive fly. Remember to use 1X when fishing the monster hole. The fly was a green crystal leech fished unweighted on a intermediate 6wt line. IMG_2422.JPG
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,647 / 0
    Exploring is fun and time consuming and well worth it.

While talking about maps, have you ever tried Bing Maps. The search engine by MS. They get right down to the nitty gritty. Closer than Google Maps or Yahoo maps.
  3. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,602 / 0
    The number of fertile lakes in that area is mind boggling. I'm always impressed how WDFW can stock fry in any wet spot deep enough to avoid summer and winter kill, and the trout take off, growing like crazy. Thanks for the reminder that I should go trout fishing more.

Sg
  4. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    Wow - Nice fish Patrick. Is that one of the Redington rods you mentioned in an earlier thread? Pursuit?
  5. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Yup, a Redington Pursuit that the wife gave me for Christmas. Another Redington product that punches above it's weight. It's a great rod to illustrate Former Guides's post about most of us not "needing" expensive equipment. I'll really have to up my casting game before I need a more expensive rod than this one.
  6. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    It's amazing how much time goes into finding these places. It great fun though. At one point I was semi lost in a maze of scrub covered dunes and it started snowing. At that point i was feeling like i should have stayed home and fished the Yak, but 15 min later I topped a rise and saw the chain of little desert lakes in the distance and all was well again.
  7. The Dude Member

SW WA
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    Nice Fish..
  8. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Jim--
    Thanks for that tip! I've always used the GMaps, but was surprised at how much better the Bings are...!
  9. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,602 / 0
    Patrick,

Once I went hiking and fishing in the DWA in March, it didn't snow, but the wind came up bad, a different kind of Desert Storm. Hiking in the sand inspired the saying that if you just hiked at a normal pace it takes three-quarters of an hour to get to the lakes. But if you hike fast you can get there in 45 minutes.

Sg
  10. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +737 / 0

Nice pig, bigger than my last Steelhead :)
  11. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    A confession: Some RF fish put up a battle. This one pretty much swam over and presented it's jaw for hook removal, then stuck around for the photo session. I think your steelhead would be embarrassed to have this fish in the family.
    rwbailey05 and Old Man like this.