Grays River?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Hooked, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Hooked

Hooked New Member

Hello,

I am going to be in the Long Beach area the 16th, 17th and 18th of this month. I'm wondering if anybody has fished the Grays River and if so then what can you pass on about this or any other fly fishing possibilities in the area. I mostly fish the Northern Puget Sound area so my knowledge of the southern rivers is limited. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!! :DUNNO

Thanks in advance, :THUMBSUP

Hooked!!

2. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

I lived on the banks of Grays River for many years, but did not fly fish at that time.
    The river should have some Chinook in it and possibly a few cutts at the time you plan to go. You're a little early for the Silvers.
    The Piling hole below the covered bridge is just above tide water and holds Chinooks well when they're in.
    From what I know now, the tailout water on this hole is good fly water, but the Chinook seem to hold mostly in the deeper part of the hole.
    Also the Gorley Hole at the mouth of the W.Fork holds salmon well.

Good Luck. The river used to be a pleasure to fish, but has deteriorated since Weyerhaeuser clearcut the headwaters in a short period of time in the 60-70's. Should be gradually coming back now though.

3. Hooked

Hooked New Member

Hey fishnfella,

Thank you very much for the info.