Green River Guide?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by run26miles, Aug 16, 2013.

1. run26miles

run26miles Member

I will be meeting up with a buddy in Salt Lake City in September and we have decided to go over to fish the Green River below Flaming Gorge Dam. Can anyone recommend a guide for the Green that you've had a good experience with? Thanks!

2. Ben Swaner

Ben Swaner Active Member

Try spinner fall guide service.

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Kenny, who guides for Trout Bum 2. Check in with them in Park City. Great fishing and best shore-side lunch you'll ever have. BYOB, of course.

Sg

4. deansie

deansie Member

If you don't want to spend the $$ on a guide and are decent on the oars/ good at reading water, you can rent rafts or a drift boat at the shop in town. I've always done that but our trips are as much about the drinking/ camping/ guy time as it is catching fish. Guides are always great, just another option for you....starting in the A section and camping in the B section is always a great 2 day trip!!

5. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Gordon Tharrett, one of the owners of Trout Creek Flies in Dutch John, has been guiding the Green for over 25 years and would be my first choice. I doubt that you could get on a trip with him at this late notice but the shop has other great guides too.
    http://fishutahsgreenriver.com/

run26miles likes this.
  6. run26miles

run26miles Member

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the help. I will follow up on your suggestions and post a report after the trip.

7. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    It don't matter !! It's the Friggin Green !! A cluster of major proportions !!

8. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

run26miles likes this.
  9. run26miles

run26miles Member

Trip report: My friend and I had a great time on the Green this week. Thanks to Freestone and fe2head for recommending the guides at Trout Creek flies. We were able to get a day with Gordon Tharrett, who now owns Trout Creek flies, and he was a great guide, as Freestone said. Also fished with a guide named Boomer, and he was equally excellent. It is dry fly time, and we fished primarily with a fly called a Triple Double, which Gordon created. I couldn't believe the quality of fish in this river. We caught mostly browns with some rainbows mixed in. We didn't see a fish smaller than 15 inches - average size was about 18 inches. Anyway, thanks to all who replied to my inquiry. I really appreciate the help.

Freestone likes this.
  10. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Media:
    Thanks for the great report! It sounds like a fantastic trip. It's awesome that you got out with both Gordon and Boomer. The GT Triple Double is a great pattern. I've been thinking of tying it in bigger sizes as a soft water steelhead skater.