Grouse and Deer

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +105 / 0
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +771 / 1
    I've fired their derringers and must say they have lousy triggers. They recently revised the triggers and are supposed to be better. The new triggers are skeletonized, to tell them apart from the old style ones.

I've thought about their .410/45, but already have a Kimber Ultra for concealed carry. I can't justify $480 buck for a once in a while toy or car jacking deterrent.
  3. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    The longer barrel ranger for deer and grouse, most of the deer and elk I've shot with my recurve have been from 3 to 18 yards, was thinking the 45 longcolt might be adequate for that range. Already have a carry gun. ;_)
  4. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Daryle, I shoot .45LC for my cowboy action rounds; they'd be great at those distances!

However, a rifled barrel for the .410? They're claiming these things are accurate enough to take a head shot on a grouse at 20 yards or so with the .22? I sure as hell wouldn't want to shoot shot through a rifled barrel!
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +963 / 1
    I wonder how much fun those little derringers are to shoot in the larger calibers. I have a standard size derringer in .357 Mag and was told it was a "knuckle buster". I've only fired .38 Spl target loads through it to verify the 2nd barrel hammer activated. Doesn't even weigh enough to hurt someone if you threw it at them.
  6. fly-by Active Member

Tangled in the Pines
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Bought a Taurus Judge last year with the same thought. It shot equally poorly with both .45 LC and .410 of various brands/lengths/shot size. Sent it off to Ahlman's in MN to have a choke tube installed. Still bad. Traded it for a 25-06 and got a scoped .22 Ruger Mk I for grouse. Horses for courses.
  7. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Thanks for the replys thats the purpose of this thread
  8. Gary Thompson dirty dog

East Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    Grouse and deer?
    I use a 30-06 or a 308 for deer and carry a Mark II .22 for grouse.
    A friend used to carry a .22 over a 30-30, ya only get one shoot each, ya better make it count
  9. fly-by Active Member

Tangled in the Pines
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    Yeah a Savage 24 would be a nice setup. You can find the old ones in various caliber and gauge combos but I think the new ones just come in .22/.410.
  10. cuponoodle breakfast gritty

Arlington
    Ratings: +305 / 0
    I think my grandpa's old .22/20 grouse gun might be my favorite out of all the guns in my safe. I've hunted with it in some of the same places he did when it was new.

Attached Files:

fly-by likes this.