Hamilton, MT area suggestions

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by dcslick, Jun 17, 2013.

1. dcslick Member

Sandpoint, Id
    Ratings: +5 / 0
    Hello,
    I am staying at a friends cabin in Hamilton the end of June. I have never been to the area and do not know much of the Bitterroot Valley. I am doing research of the area but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction on some of the better places to wet a line. I would like to stay away from the pressured areas but I understand that just might not happen. I plan on wading. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
    DC
  2. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    Geez, guy. There's the Bitterroot right there. It has plenty of access; they won't all be crowded. If you like small streams, almost any trib up along the valley will have fish in the sections above irrigation diversion dams.
    D
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  3. dcslick Member

Sandpoint, Id
    Thanks Richard for the reply. I am definitely aware of the Bitterroot being there. But I was hoping to try and avoid the crowds if possible. Any suggestions on where to walk in?

Thanks again for the reply!

4. Kelly Michelsen Active Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Old man lives in the Dillion area I think, you might contact him.I have fished the upper river it was much more to my liking smaller and a lot more wade fishing, the fish were decent size up to 16 inches probably averaged 10 inches.
    Kelly Michelsen
  5. Bruce Baker Active Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Sent you a PM
  6. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    I agree with Kelly; try the forks, if you like smaller water and perhaps a bit easier wading (although it sounds like it is a relatively low water year).
    D
  7. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,653 / 0
    I have never fished the Bitterroot. But I heard the the West Fork is the place to play around at..

I do love small skinny water. BSC is my favorite place to fish now. Red Copper John's is the go to fly. I think the next time I go up there I'm going to rig up with two RCJ. Maybe I can get a double hook up. I almost had one last year, but I got buck fever when they got close to the surface of the creek
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  8. surfnsully Active Member

Happy Valley, OR
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Contact the folks at River Otter fly shop in Florence and they will give you good advice. Last year I hit the East Fork and had a blast! There are a lot of places on the tribes and mainstem for wading so go explore.

If you like a great steak head to Lolo Creek steakhouse in Lolo. It is a great all around experience.
  9. Jim Hagenau Member

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
  10. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    Crowds? It's not like we're talking about combat fishing for kings on the Kenai or chum on Chico Creek.

Fish during the weekday, park at any bridge, scramble down to the water and fish up- or downstream. It's unlikely you'll run across a handful of people the entire day, let alone a crowd.

K
  11. Blake Harmon Active Member

Spokane, Washington
    Ratings: +138 / 0
    Just got back from 4 days on the root. Don't worry the fish will be there when you arrive!
  12. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +708 / 1
    Both the West and East Forks will be an option for you. Both have great access and are a bit smaller water making wading a bit easier...though many sections of the main stem are easily waded as well. There is a nice campground on the east fork not too far from from the turn up the west fork. My brother and I fished that section last year and found plenty of participants from the campground upstream under the highway bridge and about 1/2 mile farther upstream. Have fun!
  13. dcslick Member

Sandpoint, Id
    Thanks all for the great info!! I really appreciate it.

Thanks again,
    DC
  14. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    I would also check the waterstrider kick boat website. They are in the area and the guys in the area have a neat little book (inexpensive) that is packed with maps, fishing info, access info, contact numbers and flies. Also, try around the campgrounds on Skalkoho Creek. Really close and good fishing. Also, you can drive a little to Mussigbrod Lake and play with grayling.
  15. Stewart Skunk Happens

Spokane
    Ratings: +48 / 0
    You're going to have a blast. The west fork is absolutely gorgeous. If you have a toon, take it. That'll negate most of the access issues. I'd avoid the Main St (Hamilton) to Silver Bridge float though. Getting your toon portaged around the diversion dam is not too easy solo. Wally Crawfor to Angler's Roost has a dam too, but getting around it is easier in my opinion.