Has anyone seen/used the magnavise?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rob Ast, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +230 / 3
    I was watching a flytying video and they mentioned the magnavise.

(http://www.muskokalifestyleproducts.com/magnavise.html)

Of course I had to take a look, and it seems like it might be worth a spin. Kind of modern looking regal rotary. This of course is in no way related to my rapidly increasing vise collection vice.

As an aside, while trying to find the magnavise on google I also came across a vise by tiemco.

(http://www.avidmaxoutfitters.com/p-4168-tiemco-fly-tying-vise-ii.aspx#sthash.i2DfKaSB.dpbs)

Anyone ever seen this?
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,570 / 0
    Oh great, thanks a lot! :mad: I had to order a Magnavise because I think it will work well for tying larger bass patterns. That's all I need... another vise!

(I like the compact design and auto adjusting jaws as are the Regal's. That system works quite well for large hook patterns. )

I'll let you guys know how it works.
  3. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Gene, thanks for throwing yourself under the bus for me. Let us know what you think.
  4. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +958 / 1
    Rob,
    Always nice to see another vise on the market. Looks interesting. Like you said, similar to a Regal. First glance, I don't like the handle and the very large handle mount on the jaws. Think it will get in the way???? I have been tying on a regal for many years. At least the Regal handle mount is rounded over and a smaller footprint. But, it looks like a nice vice. Glad to have guys like GAT around who will test for us.:)
    Don't know about the Tiemco vise. A little too space ship looking for me.
    Jack
  5. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Jack, Gene will have to report back, but it looks like it can be mounted with the handle mount on the underside - might help with some of the clearance issues. Also, not entirely clear from the available information if this is a spring closure like the regal (auto adjusting) or more of a modified cam style vise.
  6. Jack Devlin Active Member

Have to deal with it when tying materials on the bottom of the hook. I often rotate vise to tie on buck tail collars etc. from the bottom. Nice to have lots of vise choices. Like you Rob (and many others out there I suspect), I too have a vise vice.

Jack
  7. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Oh sure, NOW you guys find problems with the vise after I've ordered one :)

I didn't like the Tiemco vise either. Too many holes in the sucker for me.

Well, I need to get back to work on a cartoon to help pay for the new vise. The shipping is really up there but I guess if the vise is heavy, that's the reason... I guess.
  8. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +394 / 0
    I don't know if the handle hub would get in the way, but it looks like the handle is just a metal rod that slips in to a hole in the hub and once the hook is clamped the handle is moved to the rear and inserted into the rotation hub. Interesting design feature....
  9. Jack Devlin Active Member

This is the part I was concerned about. Whether it is on the top or the vise is rotated and it is on the bottom it still looks like it will be in the way.????Jack Scan 37.jpg
  10. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Well.... I guess I'll let you know if that is a problem or not.
  11. Jack Devlin Active Member

GAT,
    Don't you just love "monday morning quarterbacks/engineers"?
    All in all, looks like a pretty neat vise.
    Jack
  12. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    I'm not that keen on my Regal knock-off so I figured what the heck, the vise looks clean, simple and compact. I'll give it a try.

If it has a problem, you guys will be the first to know. I will compliment a good product and condemn a poor one.
  13. Ben Swaner Member

Walla Walla
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    Watch flyfishfood.com. they should be putting a review out on the vise. Supposed to be a great one. Made in the USA. Cache Valley Utah. Quality is top notch.
  14. Jack Devlin Active Member

Even on the Regal the lever mount gets in the way sometimes when tying on the bottom of the hook. It is the only negative I have for the Regal and I have tied on one for many years.
    I guess it is just not a perfect world. Hard for idealists like me to comprehend.:(
    Jack
  15. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Jack.... it isn't a perfect world. :cool:
  16. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Just a heads up, but I emailed the vise manufacturer about the clamping mechanism. Although it looks like a regal it is in fact a cam actuated vise, not spring loaded.
  17. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Oh great. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. Sure wish I'd get the thing PDQ so I can see what I actually bought.

(Last time I buy a vise because of a post!!! :p)
    Kcahill likes this.
  18. Ben Swaner Member

Walla Walla
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    You wont be disappointed. Ill take it off your hands if you dont like it. ;)
  19. Jack Devlin Active Member

GAT et al,
    I looked at my REGAL vise. It has quite a prominent "hub" which sometimes gets in my way when I tie "inverted" IMG_1163 (1).jpg but I guess I have adjusted to it.
  20. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Dammit, Jack! Now I'll obsess over the hub if it gets in my way or not! Sure...NOW. I wish you would have mentioned your concern toward the top of the page!:rolleyes:

Ah, it will be fine for what I'm going to use it for. If not, well, I have another vise I don't use in my collection. It only cost me two cartoons... unfortunately, I now sell 'toons once in a blue moon. When you only have two clients who publish six times a year and one client doesn't buy a cartoon for each issue, my tools, gear and materials fund is pretty damned meager.

I'd hate to go back to writing articles for the materials and tools money... then it's a job :eek: