Has anyone seen/used the magnavise?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Rob Ast, Apr 13, 2013.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

2. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Gene,
    Sorry;)to have caused you so much unwarranted consternation.
    I have a tendency to over-think things. With some of the bigger flies I tie, the Hub is a problem but I'm just picky. On smaller flies probably not an issue. And it really isn't an issue.
    Couple of photos of big and not so big flies on my regal.
    The term "mountains out of molehills" comes to mind.
    Just trying to help. My intentions were good. Isn't that all that matters?:rolleyes:

. DSC01178.jpeg DSC01179.jpeg DSC01180.jpeg DSC01181.jpeg

3. Jack Devlin

PS I'm going to bide my tongue from now on.:D

4. Jack Devlin

Scan 38.jpeg
    For Gene

Brian Thomas and Gary Knowels like this.
  5. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Well, hell, Jack. YOU should be the cartoonist! :D

6. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    spring loaded or cam lever that magnavise wouldnt be for me

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It may not be for me either after I receive the sucker -- but I'll have one.

(I blame this thread.)

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I received the critter today... now, I just need to find time to try it.

9. Jack Devlin

Wow, that came fast. Where did you buy it? Hope you will give us a good review of the vise in your role as our VP in charge of Product Review .
    Jack

10. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I ordered it directly from the company in Utah... that's most likely why it arrived as quickly as it did... of course for the price they charge for shipping, it should.

Okay, I didn't edge the lawn as I planned and tried the vise instead. So I tied up some simple soft hackles as a trail run.

Remember, I'm accustomed to using a Dyna King Barracuda Jr. and not a Regal style of vise so you need to keep that in mind.

The vise is sturdy and well made but I have issues.

Jack, you are correct about the handle and the handle holder... it located too close to the tip of the jaws. I'm not accustomed to a large part of the vise crowded next to the hook and maybe the reason I don't use my Regal knock-off.

I'm not so sure the tip of the jaws are any closer to the body of the vise than it is with a Regal.

The Dyna King is made with a V shape so the jaws are nowhere close to any other part of the vise.

I flipped the jaws so the handle is on the bottom. The handle is removable and really doesn't get in the way when the jaws are upside down. Still, the jaws are not long enough for my taste and if they were longer and came to a sharper point, it would be a better vise.

If I wanted to add an angle to the jaws so the hook would be secured up more away from the body of the vise, I could. But then you lose the full rotary function as the hook would no longer maintain a horizontal position when rotated.

And one huge gripe. The vise adjustments are made with allen screws. The company did not include an allen wrench with the vise and none of my allen wrenches fit the screws -- evidently they are metric or something. Anyway, for the price, the vise should have come with allen wrenches for making adjustments.

The removable handle is also used at the rear if you plan to use the vise as a true rotary. They could have just as well added a permanent handle at the rear... moving the handle from the front to the back is kind'a silly.

The other problem is probably unique to my situation. I use a clamp style magnifier. It is easy to install the clamp on the Dyna King... there is no where to clamp it on this vise. And I do need a magnifier. So I clamped it on my tying lamp but that screws up the angle of the lamp due to the weight of the magnifier.

Again, if you are accustomed to using a Regal, most of my complaints have to do with that style of vise... I prefer the Dyna King style where the jaws are well out of the way of the body of the vise. .. similar to the wild ass look'n new Tiemco.

As I see no advantages of using the vise at home, I probably won't. I like my Dyna King much, much more.

So, bottomline, if I would have tried the vise before ordering it, I wouldn't have purchased the thing. It may work better for those of you using Regals but for me, I'm not keen on the product. I already have a Renz Traveler so I doubt if I'll even use this thing as a traveling vise.

Looks like this is another one that will end up in my collection and hardly ever, if ever, used again.

For me, personally, the vise is not worth the price.

dscn0841.jpg

dscn0839.jpg

Note: I just checked the price of the Tiemco vise.... I guess I can't say the Magna Vise is over priced... it just seems that way to me because I expected much more. (like allen wrenches that fit the screws)

11. Jack Devlin

Thanks for the report. Sorry the vise didn't live up to your expectations.
    I got a new vice today too. Bit disappointed though. Thought it was a rotary. Will take it back to Home Depot tomorrow.
    Jack

Attached Files:

Gary Knowels likes this.
  12. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I certainly won't go with a Regal style again. It is handy that the jaws clamp the hook on their own but I just don't like the fact that the jaws, and thus the hook, is so close to the body of the vise. The bent shaft of the non-Regal style vises works much better for me.

It does look good with the rest of my vises I don't use :D

13. Jack Devlin

Speaking seriously now, I always thought that the Dyna King Kingfisher vise was a good one. A simple rotary vise also available in a fancier model. If you like the Dyna King jaws this would be a good one. I think it is $149?
    Jack Dyna-King-Kingfisher-682x1024.jpg 1302293184_KingfisherPedbckview.jpg

14. Jack Devlin

I use my Regal only for tying large (up to 14 inches long) flatwings and maybe a streamer or two.
    Good vise. Bulletproof.
    Jack

15. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yeah, see, you may like the vise. I guess the removable handle does have some advantages... plus it is easy to rotate (you don't need to move the handle to the rear to do so). If they would have made longer jaws that come to a "needle point", I think that's really all it needs.

16. Bugsy

Bugsy Member

To anyone who's considering this vise, I see Muskoka is selling them through amazon for $169 + 10 shipping right now. Not a bad price if you're in the market.

17. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Oh geat... now I find out they have dropped the prices !!! Salt in the wounds... salt in the wounds!

(I'm honestly not sure if they're even worth 180 bucks .. they aren't form me.)

18. Bugsy

Bugsy Member

Ahh, shoot,...didn't mean to make you feel worse, Gene. If it makes a difference, I wouldn't be surprised if the discount is only temporary.

19. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Yeah, they'll probably reduce the price even further :eek: