Headed to N. CA down 97

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by KerryS, May 19, 2013.

1. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    Heading down to Macdoel, CA for a few days to work. Will be driving 97 all the way. I am taking a few rods and might even throw the pontoon boat in. Anybody with any tips for fishing along 97 thru Oregon this time of year throw me a line.

Thanks
  2. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +895 / 0
    There's the Willaimson, just above K-Falls, but I don't know if it's fishable, accessible, etc. The Deschutes west of Bend should be available, but I learned that it's one stream which doesn't vary much in water level. you might stop in at Patient Angler on the old highway near the south edge of town and see what they have to say. Other than that, nothing comes to mind in that area. Sorry, Kerry.
  3. Rich Morrison Member

Rapid City, South Dakota
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    You have a PM
  4. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +648 / 2
    How far are you willing to drive off 97? I could send you to some lakes and rivers -
    east
    crane
    wickiup
    rivers
    metilious
    fall
    deschutes
    little deschutes
    And that's just around the sunriver area.The salmon flies started a week and a half ago on the big D but I don't know how high up they have gotten, call a shop for that hatch!

Callibeatis should be started at east and it just opened a week ago for browns and bows from the west end.

crane on warm days flying carpenter ants in the afternoon out of Quinn river camp ground along the timber, cali's near the ramp at dusk and chiro's anytime. quinn boat ramp and camp ground would be your best access to fish from a toon.

wickiup I would skip sheeps bridge and launch across from south twin resort. would put you a little closer to the lake but still in the deschutes arm.

Call the shop in sun river for info on the met and fall rivers.
  5. Cti111 Member

Sammamish,Wa
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Make sure to stop @ the Big D & say hi to some friends flies 1.jpg
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  6. Rod Wittner Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +69 / 1
    Kerry, the Upper Sacramento and McCloud rivers are nearby to the south, about an hour. They are outstanding fisheries and favorites of mine, but with it being the snow melt, they are probably running pretty high. The Klammath or Williamson might be an option. The Williamson is tough fishing, but there are monster rainbows there. You might want to check with Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir or The Fly Shop in Redding, they should have info for you. Macdoel is like 500 people, what the heck are you doing there?
  7. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    The comany I work for (Sakuma Bros./Norcal Nurseries) has about 500 acres they farm near Macdoel.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,663 / 0
    There's also Diamond Lake. That's been the hot spot for the last few years. Lots and lots of big ol trout
  9. hookedonthefly Active Member

Ratings: +121 / 0
    Hey Kerry,
    Been meaning to catch up to you....

Hope you have a super trip. Look forward to some pics and a trip report when you get back.
    Safe Travels,
    Ed
  10. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Tribs to Klamath Lake could be ready, depending on when you're going. Couple guide shops that work the area could give you more info than I. I'm thinking the Williamson, Sprague, wood rivers.
    You will be near some fantastic High desert reservoirs, pm me if interested
  11. Robert Engleheart Robert

Lemoore, CA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    You'll be close to the Fall and McCloud rivers in CA, PM me if you'd be interested in some high desert reservoirs about an hour from Macdoel; they can be very good. Also got a good tip on a very neglected trout fishery (Browns) not too far off 97 in Oregon that really could be worth checking out and it's on one of Oregon's most beautiful rivers.
    What are they growing on that farm?