Healing Waters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steve Call, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Steve Call Active Member

Wetside, WA
    Ratings: +182 / 0
    We all know about Project Healing Waters and the great work Chuck, Jerry and so many others on this forum do with active duty military and vets. The concept of fly fishing and being on the water as healing can apply to anyone. I've spent most of the last three months involved in care and support of the "woman of my dreams", who has had a significant medical issue, during which I haven't fished. She's come through the ordeal with flying colors and the outcome couldn't be better. She has/is bouncing back quickly.

Fishing is just not my primary form of recreation, but it is also key to maintaining my mental health. It is hard to find the right words to describe it, but being on the water and fishing gives me both perspective and balance. I went fishing yesterday for the first time in a couple of months. Being on the river wading, reading the water, casting, focusing on tracking my fly and anticipating a fish were all rejuvenating and healing to my mental health. I couldn't help but think of the phrase - healing waters.

The fishing was great and the catching was pretty good too.
  2. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +214 / 1
    Glad to hear of her great recovery, Steve! Those are tough times.
    Hope you get out on some more healing waters soon.
  3. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Steve, excellent to hear she is getting well and the water has worked it's magic on you too. Hope you get to fish more regularly soon.
  4. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +885 / 0
    Great news, Steve, and... putting yourself on hold for awhile in this situation, speaks to your quality: good on ya!
  5. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +286 / 1
    Good to hear. Now, lets go fishing.