Article Heavy weather

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Sep 14, 2013.

1. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +216 / 2
    As of Friday, no.
  2. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +658 / 5
    It's sad to say, like most, my college degree doesn't have anything to do with my job (well, sorta anyways). I have an aviation degree (with a specialty in professional pilot). Part of the degree was weather classes, then an "aviation weather" class. Guess what each instructor told us? That weathermen (and women) are purely paid to guess. Yes, they do have some pretty sure things when it comes to the forecast. But for the most part they can only take what they have and make a guess. Then when you want extended forecasts, again it comes down to taking averages and hoping they hold true. Even those certified meteorologists. It's all a gamble. Just they have a degree to give them MORE of a chance to be right. ;)
  3. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    I am always amazed that weather people make great guesses. My hat is off to those who make my outdoor life more predictable. Last month they forcast thunder/lightning for one of my camping weekends. I thought "no way" because when I set my tent up it was 80 degrees, but that night had a rip roaring thunderstorm that woke me up about midnight. No harm, tent leaked a little, but it was warm.