help? chum question.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by paul, Oct 26, 2001.

1. paul New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    kinda new to seattle. my bro is visiting around nov. 19. looking to score some chum action. that time of november, where do you think's the best bet? the sky around sultan/goldbar? the stilly around sylvana? elsewhere? any help is appreciated. thanks, dudes.
  2. redgibber New Member

Anacortes, Washington, USA.
    If you decide to make a day out of it, you might want to check into the Skagit River. It has a big run of chums. Try calling Skagit Anglers in Mt. Vernon #206-336-3232 for info. I know up at Swift Creek there is good chum fishing on the fly rod. It's about an hour up Highway 20 from I-5, or so. Good fishing.
  3. guest Guest

I once did the Sultan thing around Thanksgiving one year. It was a total zoo. If you can get down the R/R tracks from Sultan to where the Wallace runs in. That seems to be the hot spot. There are a lot of gear slingers there,but I've seen a few fly fishers there also. Anything green seems to work. Jim S.:OO
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,538 / 0
    Check the regs before heading up to Swift Creek. I believe it is closed above Gilligan Crk.
  5. ray helaers New Member

The Sky should be good then, and there is a lot of good chum water available from the road between Sultan and Monroe. The entire gravel bar at two-bit, from the ramp all the way to the top will hold fish (and a lot of anglers), and you can even walk all the way up onto Taylor flat. The long run at the Ben Howard ramp is good, and so are the islands above the Lewis St Bridge.

Smallish, sparsish flies in green, pink, and/or orange seem to be the ticket, though I've hooked fish on big marabou and general practitioner type flies too. Fish with a sink tip on a down and across swing, but don't ignore the really skinny water. Do not wade over your boot tops for the first few casts; chum will hold very close to the bank, particularly early in the morning. The takes can be subtle, and these fish are strong and stoic. They will sometimes fool you into thinking you've hooked the bottom, until they finally peel off with the slow, stubborn power of a high-torq winch. Don't use TOO heavy a tippit; at some point you may get nervous about ever seeing your flyline again and want to break off.

I don't know much about chums on the Stilly, but I imagine that by the 19th you'd want to go considerably higher than Sylvana.

Also, the saltwater fishing in Hood Canal will still be OK by then. I can't in good conscience recomend Hoodsport. Instead, cruise 101 on the second half of the flood tide, stop at the creekmouths and watch for rolling fish. You'll need to study the regs to know what's open and what's not. Fish small, sparse, green or pink chum-candy on an intermediate line with a slow, steady retrieve.
  6. Woollyworm New Member

Seattle, WA, USA.
    Hi there,
    You mention trying the salt near Hood Canal creek mouths for chum salmon. Then you suggest checking the regs to see what's open.

It was my understanding that all saltwater areas are open year round, at least for SRCs. Am I incorrect with that assumption?

Thanks!
  7. Jonduke New Member

Renton, WA, USA.
    I think that the saltwater is open for salmon fishing in November, and SRC all year round. But if you wan to fish farther up a creek (like Kennedy Creek, or Minter Creek) you definitely want to check the regs.
  8. guest Guest

hey the skok is absolutely infested, if i didnt hook a fish in 20 seconds something was wrong there was too other people there fishin. totally recommend this place for chum fishin if your headin towards the canal. way less crowded than chico creek and hoodsport for chums anyway. chum fishin RULES. later Ben oh yeah jonuke do you fish at minterbrook creek i heard that you can fish there startin tomorrow. wonder if it might be worth checkin out, later
  9. guest Guest

Acording to the Dept of F&W it does open 0n the First of Nov.:TT
  10. ray helaers New Member

To be honest, I don't know what the regs are in Hood Canal, but I've gotten used to the idea of never sending anyone fishing without telling them to check. I do have to say that I would not be confident that all areas of the salt are open year-round, even for cutts. Check out an article by Doug Rose in the currrent issue of Northwest Flyfishing about how complicated the WA reg pamphlet is. There ARE some creek mouths that are closed (I don't know if any are in Hood Canal).

I guess I would also want to make the point that if the water you're fishing is closed for chums but open for cutts, and you're fishing for chums, you're breaking the law. WDFW agents have the discretion to take a look at your 8-weight and little green flies, write you a ticket, and confiscate your gear. Not to mention that sometimes areas are closed for a reason. I don't mean to imply that this is what anybody here is suggesting, but I know a lot of flyfishers who seem to think that because they release all the fish they hook, they can skirt the rules, and target a species that's "closed" while fishing water that's "open" for something else. It's not very ethical.