Help identify this baitfish?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Troutrageous, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Mmmmmmmmagic? Not sure. Clip a hook, probably. BUT WHICH ONE? Dun dun dun!
    #firstworldproblems #magicisreal #Icanfoula1"flywithmyshittycasting #nobodyunderstandsmyart #yolo #bieberfever

KevinLS and Nick Clayton like this.
  2. For what its worth, it was eaten head first. Might be worth keeping that front hook. But with such a long fly its tempting to try to keep both just in case.

3. That fish is called a gunnel. People mistakenly call them eels but true eels do not have pectoral fins. don't remember the scientific name at the moment. Gunnels are not common feed for salmon as they usually hide under or around rocks. This one must have been caught out in the open.

4. Very common in PS. Caught hundereds of them as a kid off Kayak Point County Park pier. Also, I was on a bottom trawler (sampling for contaminate) a few years ago in the Nisqually reach and they were one of the most common species collected.

5. Absolutely not a gunnel.......

plaegreid likes this.
  6. Sorry to dredge up an old post, but I tied this thing up the other day and was all, shit, I think there was a thread about things that look like this. Turns out there was! So enjoy. IMG_20140407_233859_914-1.jpg

c1eddy, KevinLS and Stonefish like this.