Help on the Sauk for a newbie!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Michhael, Jul 27, 2002.

1. I have been fishing the North Fork of the Stilly recently. (I live in Arlington so that part is easy) The fish seem to recognize me now...so.... I was thinking of trying up on the Sauk tomorrow morning....but.... I have no idea where to go or what I might find. Any suggestions would be a great help.

2. I just read the msg from Chris..about doing searches for old subjects.....and of course.....there were some answers. Maybe I should take the BUS up to Darrington after reading about the car problems....but... any other answers would be great also. I will search from now on . :WINK

3. I take it you want to chase steelhead? The Sauk isn't known for a summer run of steelhead but there are rumored to be a few. The Sauk is very much affected by glacial melt so warm spells will dirty is up. The color usually comes from the Suiattle and/or the Whitechuck. The highway from Darrington to Rockport follows the river and has several spots to pull out and fish.

4. I might be old---but I'm good.

That depends on what part of the Sauk you want to fish. Above the White Chuck the river runs clear. The Mountain Loop Hiway runs from Darrington to Granite Falls. The river follows it for a while. Some times it's close and some times it's not. Any thing below the White Chuck is usually to milky to fish. It's that way from glacier melt.

At this time of the year I usually like to fish the upper part. But read the regs because parts of it close soon. The South Fork above Elliot Creek closes at the end of August