Hevi Beads

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by tyeoneon, Nov 27, 2012.

1. tyeoneon Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I'm really curious if anyone has been using hevi beads for steelheading. If you could recommend patterns, techniques etc. for fishing the Methow River, I'd like to hear from you!
    Thanks
  2. Courtesy Flush aka Sean

West Seattle
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    They're horrible and simply don't work. I've never been more skunked using those marbles... ;)
  3. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +114 / 0
    I can't say I've used them, but per your question; I think putting a bead(any color) on and then drifting it under a bobber would be the most recommended pattern and technique. I'm guessing they work,.....much like other beads.
    ursistersbush likes this.
  4. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +114 / 0
    I love that they decided to put this testimonial on their website -

Dustin chromers says:
    Heavy duty fish destruction! They might have to close the river early this year cause me and my hevi beads are defishing the system. No steelhead is safe cause my beads are gunnin for full anihlation of the species. When u are doing the deed with the hevi bead even heavy d and the boys can't save these poor things.
  5. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    I know that guy he slays them
  6. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    Dustin Chromers!!! LOLOLOLOL
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,387 / 0
    I've never heard of them, but if Hevi beads are a lot heavier (denser) than regular beads and water, then I think they would be less effective, based on my limited understanding of bead fishing.

Sg
  8. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    true that SG. sounds like non-trad bead fishing to me. I'll stick to the pure form... more putty please hareline
  9. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +669 / 0
    There seem to be two schools of thought - people who use ridiculously heavy shit like a 1/4-1/2oz jig under a bobber, or people that use as lightly weighted flies as possible to get a more realistic drift.

I've caught fish on both. I think they're both interesting applications for fishing different type of water. I tend to agree with Salmo's assertions that nymphing light can crush it in the right circumstances.
  10. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +157 / 2
    Even if pegged and and and allowed to dead drift at a specific level suspended under an indicator? I just saw a You-Tube video by the owner of Hevi Beads last night, first time I had heard of them. It seems to me that the faster it sinks to the desired level, the more productive fishing time you can achieve, the longer your offering will be in the strike zone, the more fish you can catch. Of course, all this is assuming a colder water temperature whereas fish are less active than moving to a swum fly.
  11. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,387 / 0
    Uhm, yeah, based on how I understand some bead highliners do it.
  12. BDD Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +157 / 2
    Well then maybe I don't understand how it works.

Any bead highliners out there care to educate me?
  13. Bryan.Deshaw New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
  14. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    I have had it with all the guys doing what i all glorified gear fishing with a fly rod. I cant wait until the crowds show up on the OP this year. The first boat of dudes that floats over my water and casts that shit in the water I am fishing is going to have a rude awakening. I am going to pull out the secret fly given to me by Bill Schaadt when I was about 15.

[IMG]
    o mykiss and Robert Engleheart like this.
  15. dustinchromers Member

Barton, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Bro. That would be totally harsh to neuter my beads. I will keep them to myself. I know I should swing but I can't stop bashing steel with these things.
    Like on every cast. Even took a trip with Hickman to learn, buy u guessed it, got skunked. Seems to me swinging never works. These things are the bomb. However u have no need to worry as an Oregon guy I can only dream about crushing more op chrome than west coast choppers builds in the home of glasso. Tight lines all.
  16. sopflyfisher Active Member

Where the fish are located
    Ratings: +253 / 0
    I actually do not know this guy,I was just kidding I think its read there is a real Dustin chromers though.
    Bryan.Deshaw likes this.
  17. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +898 / 1
    I love it when people miss emoticons ;). Just so you know, the winky emoticon indicates sarcasm. Oh and I could be wrong, but blatant product promotion as your first post is really not the best way to introduce yourself to the forum. Although the beads do have me minorly intrigued.
  18. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +898 / 1

I think I like this guy already, unless he is also a blatant product endorser.
  19. dustinchromers Member

Barton, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    its true I have not posted till now,I am a lurker. Been a member for a while. But I am for real and not affiliated with the company. I only posted cause someone quoted my testimonial. I am not plugging anything. That's rad u like me cause I have been afraid to post for fear my chrome dusting, bead chucking ways would be criticized. I think I like u to bro.
    underachiever likes this.
  20. Bryan.Deshaw New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    HEVI-BEADS ROCK. END OF STORY.